Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration

homer28b

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive
I have a 94 VR Exec. On the freeway when I am going up a long hill it gets a vibration somewhere near the back of the engine (I think) similar to the vibration you get when you run over ripple strips but not as intense. This happens as it gets under load and stops if I take my foot off the throttle.
Any ideas on what it could be? It doesn't happen on the flat or during normal city driving.

t-rav

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
I'm guessing its just the engine labouring as the auto has stayed in too higher gear for the hill your climbing ....

if the reves are under 1500rpm when the shudderiing is happning then i should be right but otherwise i wouldnt have a clue..

tenggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore, Vr Acclaim
I get the same thing, only happens at around 100km/h , under load ie trying to maintain speed up a steepish hill or hard acceleration from 100k/h . if i back off it disappears. Exact same sound i think, when it first happened i thought i was driving over the rumble strips but i wasnt. I have checked the tailshaft, all feels firm, diff has oil and no whining, auto is strong and changes fine.
It drives me nuts. If you find an answer PLEASE post it, cheers

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
i think it could be a wheel alignment problem?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
May be the Torque Converter Clutch playing up - this locks the TQ solid above 80kph when cruising however if it happens when opening tthrottle above 80kph the TCC unlocks and the auto will shift back to 3rd - in this case suspect ignition problem...check leads and plugs and replace if suspect.

TBrian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Had the same problem with the vs..changed the tailshaft after thinking it was the centre bearing Still the same.I then gave the Auto a service and changed all the oil in it with new filter and guess what ...no vibration under load.I think i caught it just in time before any damage was caused.The person before me never serviced the transmission.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I had the same thing. As soon as the engine had a bit of a load there was a vibration, and if it kicked back a gear or i backed off it was fine.
I spent about $700 replacing plugs, leads, fuel pump, etc, and then I finally took it back to an old mechanic I used to use and he took about 20 mins to plug in his diagnostics tool (and not find the problem), then have a poke around and find an injector plug was working its way loose.
Definately check the simple things before going around replacing things (or going to dodgy mechanics)

homer28b

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive
Thanks for all the replies. I've only had it a little while and was already planning on doing the transmission service while I'm on holidays. Hopefully thats all it is. Everything else appears fine. I'll post the results.

ipodres

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Yeah get the same thing with my 93. Been doing it ever since I've had the car but doesn't seem to cause any probs, just annoying!

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I should probably add that I was getting shocking highway economy with mine as well. The last trip i did before it was fixed I got less than 300k's on the highway. Driving around town was more economical!