Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibrations coming through the car

cartoonwally

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hey guys,

I 'accidentally' hit a kerb with my front left wheel pretty much front on. Yeh, kicking myself :cry:... anyway, now there is a vibration coming through the steering wheel and pedals, i believe its coming from the front left wheel. When i turn left the vibration goes away (taking the weight off the left wheel), and for higher speeds the vibration becomes more prominent (over 100km/hr you can really feel it).

This is a wheel bearing problem isn't it? How much would you suggest to get it replaced? There is no visible physical damage to the wheel at all

cartoonwally

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Ok, so i just took it down to the tire shop, and they said that both of the left hand tires were buckled, badly. Now because these are the HBD wheels, is it possible to get new rims from GM? Or am i better putting up a wanted on the classifieds here? Also, to get me by is it possible that i move the front left wheel to the back right? Will that reduce the vibrations for the time being until i get new wheels?

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
I had the feeling one of the rims would be buckled, ur wheels dont came away unscaved after hitting a gutter.
Even if u move the wheels to the rear right, youll still get the vibration, cause thats wat was happening on the front!!

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
Hiting kerbs will screw your wheel allignment, have that looked at. If your tyres hit hard enough, than it is likely they have deformed in someway, you may find yourself with bubble like things protuding the sidewall of the tyres etc. better off replacing the two farked tyres and puting two brand new tyres on the front, have them all balanced and make sure you do a wheel allignment! if your rims are dented/scratched you didnt hit the kerb, you SLAMED into it lol

cartoonwally

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Yeh =( buggar. Anyone know what the cost of these rims are from holden? and if they are even available from holden... HBD 18' is what they are

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
if they are HBD j series rims (8spoke) i was quotes $520 a new rim from holden with trade discount
but they dont have any rims anymore or could find another dealer with them
your luck is searching the net or classifieds:thumbsup:

cartoonwally

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hey guys,
Sorry to bring up an old post but just a status update and i need further ideas.

So i took the car down to Depulu wheel reconditioners, they unbuckled them for me, and i then went and got 4 new tires and a wheel alignment. There is less vibrations but its still there, this is whats happening at the moment:

Its only noticable over 80km/hr (i can feel it at less than that if im being really picky), when i turn to the right it gets a lot worse, and i think i can feel it coming from the left front wheel. It feels as though it is rubbing on something, and it can be felt / heard by the passenger as well. Is this a wheel bearing? Any other ideas? I'm pretty certain that the tire couldn't be hitting the wheel arch...

Thanks guys!

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
How did they unbuckle alloy rims. And how did they test and ensure you they were no longer buckle.

Find yourself some stocko rims. or even borrow a mates wheels and put his car on car stands while you do it. See if that fixes the problem. If it does, get yourself new wheels and tyres.

If it doesn't start look at you steering arms ETC.