Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Anit Hoon laws have gone to far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOT.BT1

Bogan pride
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN exec project vh in the shed
^^^ As I said earlier it doesn't matter whether your a hoon or not. Majority of the 'hoons' in Bendigo aren't, its just the ones that are that you hear about.

Something needs to change.

bendigo is bad i drove through there last year on my way to nsw and i was pulled over twice just passing through! once for a random lisense check and the second was a breatho between bendigo and echuca but both times they checked my tyres and looked under the bonnet

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
In QLD now any type 2 offence (burnouts, unregod car etc) is now an instant impoundment irrespective of who's car it is. Although the judge may grant leniency it is entirely up to them at the time.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Yep exactly, I know I would.

Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

Check this thread out, he was accused of doing 207km/h down a freeway, had his car impounded, he was fined and was accused of being a hoon and lots of other nonsense, its guilty till proven innocent!!
He had to spend $12,000 in legal fee's at court to prove that he wasn't speeding and that it was complete bullshit. The case got thrown out, and recouped his losses, but he still had lost days at work and tarred with 'hoon'.

This shows how f**ked this is, as it could happen to anyone. Anyone thinking "dont be stupid and you have nothing to loose" you are deluding yourselves, this guy wasn't doing anything wrong, if you drive a commodore and a cop with a vendetta happens to chance upon you... your a 'hoon' regardless if you were doing anything wrong or not and will have your car impounded, or worse crushed.

From that thread:
his car is dumped on 20s and has a clubsport body kit with plates MOSTWTD and hes on P plates

While no one can say for sure if he was really doing 207km/h or 110km/h (I strongly suspect it was somewhere in the middle of those two numbers), when you drive a car like that - you're asking to get hassled, plain and simple. You know that.

The whole point of body kits/rims/custom plates etc is because people want attention and they think those things will get it. They're right, it will, but not all of that attention will be the good kind.

I maintain, that people who just drive like a normal person, and don't hang signs off their car saying "I'm a hoon!", have nothing to worry about.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
This is why I have never bothered with custom plates. Car is way too recognisable then. A lowered VR with clubby bar is bad enough.

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
I can't say I have ever been targeted the whole 2 years I've been on my p's (touch wood), yeah fair enough I get stared at occasionally, but I don't thrash it through the towns, don't do burnouts, don't slide my car everywhere, so I've got nothing to worry about and neither should the OP if they don't do any of those things. I'm not saying I'm perfect on the roads, when i overtake people I'll go 10 maybe 20 km's above the speed limit to get in front of them quicker, it's the risk i take.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yep exactly, I know I would.

Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

Check this thread out, he was accused of doing 207km/h down a freeway, had his car impounded, he was fined and was accused of being a hoon and lots of other nonsense, its guilty till proven innocent!!
He had to spend $12,000 in legal fee's at court to prove that he wasn't speeding and that it was complete bullshit. The case got thrown out, and recouped his losses, but he still had lost days at work and tarred with 'hoon'.

This shows how f**ked this is, as it could happen to anyone. Anyone thinking "dont be stupid and you have nothing to loose" you are deluding yourselves, this guy wasn't doing anything wrong, if you drive a commodore and a cop with a vendetta happens to chance upon you... your a 'hoon' regardless if you were doing anything wrong or not and will have your car impounded, or worse crushed.
:bomb:

Looks to me like there is only 1 side of the story presented there. I'd like to see the actual court transcript. Sounds like he was charged with reckless driving and 144km/h.

Reaper

ps. Lofty has the awesomest avatar ever :D
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=1377518&postcount=46

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
This is complete bollocks, whats hooning? The government still doesn't quite know, so how am I supposed to? A slight chirp at the lights is constituted as 'hooning', yet it's not dangerous at all. Accelerating fast upto the speed limit could be constituted as 'hooning' yet doubt it unsafe at all.

Anyone thinks this is a good thing needs their head checked, you don't have to be a 'hoon' to get targeted under this law. Hell last year an old lady got done under the hoon laws because she was driving to slow and wouldn't pull over lol.

I know for one, if I knew my car was going to be crushed I would not stop for anyone or anything. This will be the case for alot of drivers, more deaths will most likely result from this law, despite the fact 'hooning' only represents 2% of accidents in Australia. So much effort for such small problems.

Heres another example of the hoon law , My son gave a couple of his mates the arse and quit their band because they were getting into drugs and drinking ,plus his new job required him to do a fair bit of overtime and some studying . These guys started to pull up out the front of the house every Friday night at 9.00pm and yell out abuse and then drive off. One Friday night i hid behind the fence just before nine with a camera. These guys drove past and as they started yelling i called out " smile" and took a couple of pics of them and the car . I rang the police and told them the story .It turned out that even though they didn't do any skids , burnouts or drive off in a dangerous manner they could still be charged with hooning is they are caught doing it.

Last edited:

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
it's quite simple realy,

you do something that is against the law, you should suffer the penalty's set out by your local law makers.

in all honesty, if those laws save 1 persons life, then they have worked.

those who complain about anti-hooning laws, need to sit back and have a good look as to why they are complaining.

as for defective vehicals, if you cant maintain your car, then you shouldnt have your car. sorry guy's but i see way to many tools out there speeding, driving cars that shouldnt be on the road, drag racing at lights and being down right tools putting peoples life in danger all the time. the rules started in post 1 would work a treat, and curb the high death toll.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
people worry too much. i've never ever heard of a car being confiscated under the hoon law when the driver was not clearly 100% hooning. until people's cars do start getting confiscated for chirping then you can worry, i seriously doubt it's going to happen though. at the moment you're all just dreaming up scenarios and getting angry about stuff that hasn't happened :p

but do the right thing and you'll be fine. i got pulled over the other night coming home from work, what do you think the police officers think when they pull over a 17 year old looking guy at 2am without P's on his car driving a loud v8 on black stockies? nothing. nothing at all. gave me a breath test, didn't even look over my car. when you're doing the right thing you don't get in trouble.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
people worry too much. i've never ever heard of a car being confiscated under the hoon law when the driver was not clearly 100% hooning. until people's cars do start getting confiscated for chirping then you can worry, i seriously doubt it's going to happen though. at the moment you're all just dreaming up scenarios and getting angry about stuff that hasn't happened :p

but do the right thing and you'll be fine. i got pulled over the other night coming home from work, what do you think the police officers think when they pull over a 17 year old looking guy at 2am without P's on his car driving a loud v8 on black stockies? nothing. nothing at all. gave me a breath test, didn't even look over my car. when you're doing the right thing you don't get in trouble.

Hoon laws are much like Workchoices, everyone knew someone who had a horror story, but when push come to shove there was no evidence the horror story ever happened.

Fact of the matter is, do something wrong, expect to be punished like everything else out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.