Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vic P-Plate laws (red p's)

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Hi guys, I just have some questions about the new laws in regards to performance. I am currently on red p's and from what i know of i can't have any performance mods what so ever, is that right? Also i want to know if once i'm off my red p's and on my green p's can i have a v8 or performance upgrades to my v6? I think that i could because i currently see people on green p's with v8's so when im on green p's the police wouldn't know that i was previously on red p's. They could just think i was always on green p's and i got my license before the new laws cause they wouldn't be able to tell unless they looked at my license.

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't wanna by a V8 and find out i won't be able to drive it for another 4 years lol.

Cheers!

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
The power restrictions came in before the P1/P2 laws. The people you see with V8's on green P's are the lucky S.O.B's who got their license before the power restrictions came in.

Im also on reds. I feel your pain lol

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I'm pretty sure VIC changed to the same laws as NSW and I know that up here if you were already on your P's before the laws were changed, the laws do not apply to you. However, if you got them after the laws changed, you cannot drive a V8 legally until you get a full licence.

Alternatively, you can try to get a exemption for reasons such as employment, country driver who requires the use of eight or more cylinder Four Wheel Drive (4WD V8) vehicles if there is no practical alternatives, person who can prove they owned the prohibited vehicle prior to law change or before an interstate/overseas licence transfer (attach proof of acquisition), person who can demonstrate any other exceptional circumstance.

That's from the NSW rta so i'm guessing the exemption reasons would be the same.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
YOU can NOT have ANY performance enhancing mods until you have a FULL license.

if you want to play that game though - go right ahead.
dont come posting about how you got done for hoon laws, lost your license and your car all because checking your license is the first thing the Police do when they pull you over and ask for your license.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Thanks guys. Thats what i thought. But am i right in saying that when im on my green p's i could have a v8 cause the only way police would be able to tell is if i got my license after the power ristriction laws is if they actually look at my license and check the date?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Most of the time they will look up your license status before they even pull you over. Thats how they got my mum for being unlicensed after she got done for drink driving. (which was 2 years ago btw)

Alternative would be get the car registered under your parents name and dont display P plates :p

BRADV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
If you got your license after July 1st 2007 you cannot have any performance mods, no supercharged or turbocharged and no v8's at all.

Your point regarding the police not knowing etc is quite valid and of course you could remove badges etc to make it even harder to tell or whatever but it really isn't like- when you get off your red P's the police are off your back - I have an SV6 and get enough looks from police, when I drive dad's new SV6 even more looks from police. This is a risk that you could take but could have serious consequences, fines, loss of license.

If you got your license prior to July 1st 2007 you can drive any vehicle that is not considered 'high powered' as defined by the law at the time (< July 1 2007). This is why you may see some P platers with V8s.

I am sort of in a similar situation as you and I know how you feel. I am off my P's in November and really want to upgrade my car- keen on an SSV but the power to weight ratio means it comes in too powerful (just!). I have been umming and areing about whether to risk it, apply for the exemption or just wait - I am going to wait.

I would advise you to either wait or if you are really keen apply for an exemption (I have attached the paperwork for you).

Good luck anyway.

Cheers.

Attachments

• HighPoweredVehicleExemptionform71208.pdf
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,849

BRADV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
P's all together. I know, it isn't long and am so tempted to just risk it, but I'm going to wait - I'll have saved up extra cash by then so will be able to afford something newer and better anyway. You could buy mine then :)

My first car was a 4cyl 2.2L Vectra so upgrading to my SV6 was a massive improvement and now I'm just itching for more and that rumble of a V8 mmmm...

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Haha i wouldn't mind an SV6 but im gonna save my cash now so when i do get off my p's i can buy something sweet! I have always wanted a V8 since i was young and when i finally got my license i can't drive one. I was going to by a v8 only weeks before the laws came in. Lucky i didn't or else i would of had to go through the hassle of selling it.