Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vic Pol reintroducing aerial speed detection

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Rufus®, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Dr HaxZaw

Dr HaxZaw New Member

Members Ride:
    R34 GT-T
    do 150 for half the distance and then 50 for the second half of the distance between the markers... surely that would make a trip down the hume more entertaining

2. calais24/7

calais24/7 Mucca Mad Boys

Members Ride:
    VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
    i dont understand how they work, we went to sydney the other week and their on the hume, we were doing 120 and people where passing us, no one got pulled over from it? how could a chopper be discreet, and if it was up high could it really get your number plates to send you a fine in the mail ?

3. azkwazere

azkwazere Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....

Members Ride:
    VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
    Normally I would probably agree with this however the costs assocaited with running a helicopter to perform these tasks have to come from somewhere. Its the police budget, which I would rather be spent on something more productive, like catching rapists and murderes as opposed a few blokes doing 5kms over.

The arial heli spots are usually in regional areas, there are few down mornington/hastings way in that region. usually on roads you'd see only a few cars, not exactly the metro ring road. Why dont they just put speed cameras in road works zones? The amount of people i've seen fly through there is insane!

Anyway, my point was its not the speeding part im worried about, its the pointless waste of resources. How is this more effective then just handing the intercept cop a radar gun who IS ALREADY WAITING ANYWAY??

Im going to ask my boss if i can do my job from a helicopter from now on.. for what seems like no appharent reason.

aZk.

4. mr calais 5.0

mr calais 5.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    vy s 2003
    There so calle plan is to have plain unmarked chopper reporting the speeding cars to the hwy patrol up the road.. It's all a scam. How can the Vic police afford this when the Vic police are the lowest paid in the country..

5. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Disco

But Nicolas Cage beat one in a mustang

6. aaronevolution

aaronevolution Donating Member

Members Ride:
    TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
    Bruce Willis blew one up with a car.

7. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Disco
    He was out of bullets

8. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
    pretty soon speeding will be punishable by hellfire missile... see if you car can get away from that....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  9. Darren_L

Darren_L Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VH SS
    the V8 Supercars outrun choppers down Conrod....

10. Darren_L

Darren_L Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VH SS
    'technically' my car could also reach speeds in excess of 350kph....

11. oska

oska Active Member

Members Ride:
    vx custom 600RR
    not new they've doing this for a month now

they've tracked me twice while on my bike and unless you're stupid they're very obvious

12. aaronevolution

aaronevolution Donating Member

Members Ride:
    TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
    At $18,000,000 I'm sure your VH could go way past 350km/h.

13. The Recidivist

The Recidivist New Member

Members Ride:
    VX2 Executive Wagon
    No one will ever convince me a helicopter flying overhead clocking the time a vehicle takes to cover a specific distance is accurate because it depends on too many variables and not least of these - human error. The prospect of police corruption is a never ending worry to ordinary citizens and I can't see how any measures can be put into place to safeguard motorists from overzealous officers who can simply lodge fictitious figures to make their patrolling appear more effective - and justify their use. Finally, western law states that a person must be considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law (however there are some people who are plainly guilty of committing atrocious crimes still getting off on some technicality or other) but once the motorist is confronted with a speeding ticket from 'on high' is judged as being guilty unless innocence can be proven - and we all know doing that is an impossible task. So, is the use of helicopters to issue speed fines based on the promotion of safe driving or simply a gold-plated, guaranteed means of revenue/income for the government? You be the judge!

14. Rufys

Rufys Banned

Members Ride:
    VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
    If you know the exact distance between two points you can very accurately work out the average speed of the vehicle travelling between those two points.

So the only variables are and possible cause for concern:

1. the distance between the two points has been measured wrong (unlikely).
    2. human error.

Care to elaborate on any other variables you think there are?

15. The Recidivist

Members Ride:
    VX2 Executive Wagon
    Parallax error. To give you a quick example, an ordinary speedometer can be read to indicate differing speeds, because it all depends on the angle of the person to the speedometer needle. So if the helicopter is not exactly 90 degrees aligned to the 1st road marker when the vehicle reaches that marker and is in exactly the same position in the same circumstance at the 2nd road marker - there will be an error, which will also be compounded by the relative height of the helicopter.

Reflex. Accuracy will also be affected by a person's reflexes. As humans have different reflex times, I'm sure you would agree that two people sitting side by side in the helicopter timing the same vehicle could not possibly come up with exactly the same time - therefore human limitations can create an error which may be just sufficient enough to cause a person to be deemed as travelling above the speed limit. i hope you are not a policeman, because I can relate some interesting stories first-hand from my own personal experience regarding some police officer's attitude regarding speed (but I don't see much point in opening a can of worms - as I know you're intelligent to know what I'm alluding too).

16. Rufys

Rufys Banned

Members Ride:
    VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
    Don't be a tool! What a load of garbage. At altitude parallax error is SO small as to become insignificant in determining speed. If you actually understand parallax error, you will also understand that in this sort of application it's affect is insignificant.

It's equipment that will be used - you don't think it's someone sitting in a chopper with a stop watch do you?

In fact I'm not. What I am however, is someone that is a strong advocate of allowing much HIGHER speeds on highways. As a LOT of police officers also are. People crash at 110km/hr on highways because they get put to sleep from boredom. Increase the speeds and you're MUCH more alert. Common sense but doesn't make as much money for the govt.

Either way, the bottom line is, don't speed and you have no worries.

17. vkberlina

vkberlina VK Madman

Members Ride:
    VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
    Pigs might fly :p

It didnt work on the central coast on the F3 it wont work there

Scott

18. The Recidivist

Members Ride:
    VX2 Executive Wagon
    At least this is something we agree on. In my previous occupation I actually overhead two policemen, in the lunch room of a police station, discussing the ridiculous speeds they'd reached in vehicles (one was a twin turbo Volvo - can't remember the other, think it was some type of Ford) just before they left to go out on road patrol where, in all probability, they booked motorists going 4-5 kph over the designated speed limit. This is just one of many personal examples I could relate which left me with the distinct impression many police hold a private view on speeding that is at variance with, and significantly different to, the public stance portrayed by the police department.

Got my first speed ticket about 3 weeks ago after a clean sheet of 35 years.

19. moggy

moggy New Member

Members Ride:
    vr executive
    Either way, the bottom line is, don't speed and you have no worries.[/QUOTE]

No worrys to your hip pocket don't you mean. Still got to worry about the tool that got caught and allowed to continue on his merry way until he is intercepted or whatever they are going to do.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012