Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vic Pol reintroducing aerial speed detection

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
Police will ramp up their road enforcement on freeways today with the reintroduction of aerial speed detection in a bid to further encourage motorists to slow down.

The Police Airwing and state and local highway patrols will join forces over the next few months, targeting speeding drivers from the sky and the ground.

Police from the Airwing will use an unmarked helicopter to fly over a pre-measured distance of road, measuring the time it takes a vehicle to travel from one point to another to determine whether they are travelling within the speed limit.

If the motorist is found to be speeding, police from the helicopter will radio the details of the vehicle through to the highway patrol unit on the ground who will then intercept the offending driver.

Victoria Police Online News Centre - We are the toll: Heavens above

It seems as though mobile and fixed speed cameras are not ra̶i̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶r̶e̶v̶e̶n̶u̶e̶ saving enough lives for the state gov.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
There is no way that a couple of $130 speeding fines everyday is going to be enough to run a ####ing helicopter. This is the kind of **** our taxes are going to.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i dont see the big deal?

they already have the markings on the roads up in the country for this anyway.
from memory, yarra-benella rd has the 1/4mile markings. and also on the Hume there are some markings aswell.

maybe its also as a "safer" approach to the whole car chase thing.
obviously flying a plane/heli is going to be safer then using a car to chase people, seeing all these complaints about car chases.
especially if someones driving at say 180km/h for example

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah actually i think choppers are a good idea for that exact reason drawn. i once spoke to a cop in our showroom who was looking at some car, i was bragging about its 0-100 times and power etc. his comeback was just shrugging, "our chopper does 400kmph, can it keep up with that?"

he had me there.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i dont see the big deal?

they already have the markings on the roads up in the country for this anyway.
from memory, yarra-benella rd has the 1/4mile markings. and also on the Hume there are some markings aswell.

maybe its also as a "safer" approach to the whole car chase thing.
obviously flying a plane/heli is going to be safer then using a car to chase people, seeing all these complaints about car chases.
especially if someones driving at say 180km/h for example

But when they catch people speeding how are they meant to fine them? They have to send a highway patrol car after them anyway? Making your point invalid..

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
But when they catch people speeding how are they meant to fine them? They have to send a highway patrol car after them anyway? Making your point invalid..

You will probably just get it in the mail which makes it revinue raising not law enforcement

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
You will probably just get it in the mail which makes it revinue raising not law enforcement

Did you actually read the article?...

If the motorist is found to be speeding, police from the helicopter will radio the details of the vehicle through to the highway patrol unit on the ground who will then intercept the offending driver.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute

firstly, how do other speed cameras work?
take rego and send it in the mail. using cameras to catch it

secondly, i still dont see how your saying they must send the highway patrol after them?
its an unmarked heli. chase them until they either stop or set up things down the road.
prime example. the spike strips used in the states. slows them down

if they arent going to stop for a car. why send it out as such?
why not just send surveilance to find out who the idiot is.
and when they stop the boys in blue pounce over them.

it really isnt that hard to understand. its probably going to save them from being in more trouble from "having people die in car chases"

Did you actually read the article?...

why does the article have to be read literally to a T.

intercept can mean a great variety of things.
does not mean chase after the person.
can simply mean when they have stopped nab them then.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
firstly, how do other speed cameras work?
take rego and send it in the mail. using cameras to catch it

secondly, i still dont see how your saying they must send the highway patrol after them?
its an unmarked heli. chase them until they either stop or set up things down the road.
prime example. the spike strips used in the states. slows them down

if they arent going to stop for a car. why send it out as such?
why not just send surveilance to find out who the idiot is.
and when they stop the boys in blue pounce over them.

it really isnt that hard to understand. its probably going to save them from being in more trouble from "having people die in car chases"

why does the article have to be read literally to a T.

intercept can mean a great variety of things.
does not mean chase after the person.
can simply mean when they have stopped nab them then.

What if the person is driving from Melbourne to Sydney? You're saying the chopper is going to follow them the whole way until they stop then radio in to a patrol car with their location?

That sounds rediculous, you need to think before you post, how can you even bring the spikes strips used in the states as an example? The speeder obviously won't know he's being watched so why would they have a reason to flee?

I'm quite aware of the procedure, it even explains it for you in the article? Someone speeds, they give the patrol car the details of the speeder, patrol car pulls them over, is it that hard to comprehend?

The whole point of using a chopper is to catch speeders from the air, I think it's quite effective, it has nothing to do with reducing the amount of car chases? The patrol car still has to pull the speeder over and fine them.