Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vic Pol reintroducing aerial speed detection

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
What if the person is driving from Melbourne to Sydney? You're saying the chopper is going to follow them the whole way until they stop then radio in to a patrol car with their location?

That sounds rediculous, you need to think before you post, how can you even bring the spikes strips used in the states as an example? The speeder obviously won't know he's being watched so why would they have a reason to flee?

I'm quite aware of the procedure, it even explains it for you in the article? Someone speeds, they give the patrol car the details of the speeder, patrol car pulls them over, is it that hard to comprehend?

The whole point of using a chopper is to catch speeders from the air, I think it's quite effective, it has nothing to do with reducing the amount of car chases? The patrol car still has to pull the speeder over and fine them.

im just going to leave this thread.
its obviously going nowhere.
but going to say this

just because its in the "article" does not mean its the 100% truth.
do you really think the police are going to tell you everything about their operations and how they work?
i Highly DOUBT IT

and why not fly all that way?
have the idiot pay for all the costs of running a chopper added onto the fine. problem solved.
and i dont know, but have you ever driven from Melb to Syd on 1 tank of fuel? let alone at 150kph+.
i havent either. but im sure your fuel economy wouldn't allow for such a trip.

how do YOU know they wont use it for a while, and have other "surveilance" police car on the road.
just to keep tabs on where the person is at.

i dont know about you.
but im sick of all the PC Brigade saying not to chase these morons.
and this way will be safer to the general public by not instigating a potentially more dangerous chase.

and why not use spike strips?
havent you heard of the element of surprise?
all the sudden, bam! and they have 2/3/4 flats. im sure they aint going to be going anywhere quickly.
potentially long chase is dramatically shortened. saving your taxpayer dollars aswell.
and if the moronic speeder crashes into something. well good on them they brought it onto themselves.

if your against the whole "spikestrips" well why not have them?
who cares if they havent "done anything illegal". if they are speeding they are breaking the LAW. pretty simple. so yes they are doing illegal activities.
and for those who say about them crashing into others. its a simple solution of time and place. like all ways to stop offenders
its not rocket science. its just using simple methods.

and from now on im not going to bother posting in this thread.
all it takes is a bit of imagination and the possibilities are endless.
however if people want to be simple and straight, and not look into it. then so be it.

Last edited:

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
No I didn't read it. After all I am not in Vic and really don't care what they do down there.

Last edited:

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Who cares?

Don't speed. No worries.

*yawn*

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
im just going to leave this thread.
its obviously going nowhere.
but going to say this

just because its in the "article" does not mean its the 100% truth.
do you really think the police are going to tell you everything about their operations and how they work?
i Highly DOUBT IT

and why not fly all that way?
have the idiot pay for all the costs of running a chopper added onto the fine. problem solved.
and i dont know, but have you ever driven from Melb to Syd on 1 tank of fuel? let alone at 150kph+.
i havent either. but im sure your fuel economy wouldn't allow for such a trip.

how do YOU know they wont use it for a while, and have other "surveilance" police car on the road.
just to keep tabs on where the person is at.

i dont know about you.
but im sick of all the PC Brigade saying not to chase these morons.
and this way will be safer to the general public by not instigating a potentially more dangerous chase.

and why not use spike strips?
havent you heard of the element of surprise?
all the sudden, bam! and they have 2/3/4 flats. im sure they aint going to be going anywhere quickly.
potentially long chase is dramatically shortened. saving your taxpayer dollars aswell.
and if the moronic speeder crashes into something. well good on them they brought it onto themselves.

and from now on im not going to bother posting in this thread.
all it takes is a bit of imagination and the possibilities are endless.
however if people want to be simple and straight, and not look into it. then so be it.

Yes it is, I don't know what you're trying to prove but you obviously don't fully understand the article and have some conspircy issues.

No but I've done it on 2 stops (dual fuel), I still highly doubt the chopper is going to follow someone for 3-4+ hours.

Why would they use spike strips on someone that isn't fleeing? That would be a) illegal, b) stupid and c) 10 times more dangerous then the person actually speeding.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yeah actually i think choppers are a good idea for that exact reason drawn. i once spoke to a cop in our showroom who was looking at some car, i was bragging about its 0-100 times and power etc. his comeback was just shrugging, "our chopper does 400kmph, can it keep up with that?"

he had me there.

I think ya coppa mate is dreaming lol
even military helicopters like the Apache are flat out at 300kph!

but the biggest advantage a chopper has in regards to speed is it doesn't have to follow roads. 'As the crow flies' you might say ;)

Whilst I'm all for enforcing speed limits (for genuine safety reasons...), I don't support the stealth approach like speed cameras, time over distance, helicopters etc. None of these stop the driver from speeding on the spot. They are purely revenue raisers as they don't do anything to stop the speeding motorist. The driver could continue speeding after he has been photographed, and continue down the road and plough into another car. The speeding ticket in the mail a month later hasn't done anything to prevent the accident. Whereas a cop standing on the side of the road and/or in a car with a radar gun pulling up that driver on the spot has potentially saved an accident down the road.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Without reading the other comments fully (in regards to how they catch and fine drivers) I'd imagine both a ground and air unit would work in tandem (maybe within 50Km of each other) rather than chase a car across a whole state.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Without reading the other comments fully (in regards to how they catch and fine drivers) I'd imagine both a ground and air unit would work in tandem (maybe within 50Km of each other) rather than chase a car across a whole state.

I get the feeling a ticket would simply sent in the mail like a speed camera....
already happens with existing time over distance

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I get the feeling a ticket would simply sent in the mail like a speed camera....
already happens with existing time over distance

That wouldn't be as effective in reducing the yearly road toll. I think the whole point of their new campaigne is to stop speeding drivers in the act, not simply catching them and sending a fine in the mail.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I think ya coppa mate is dreaming lol
even military helicopters like the Apache are flat out at 300kph!

Technically, both the Apache and the Black Hawk could reach speeds in excess of 350km/h.

Has anyone even read what I wrote earlier? Do you know how much a helicopter and crew would cost to run per day? A couple of speeding fines here and there isn't going to cut it. More taxpayer funded money down the shitter.

A chopper could catch 1 car speeding every couple of minutes, a speed camera could catch 20 cars in the same timeframe.

Waste. Of. Money.