Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Victorian Car Modification Laws (Guide)

Kn10

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6
I have been checking the legality of various mods and I found a handful of useful guides from various government sites stating the laws regarding car modifications in Victoria. I thought I would share them with you:

Vicroads Modification Guide (dated 2003 but there isnt an updated version as far as I can tell): http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf
This one covers the legality of:
  • Ground Clearance
  • Lowering/Raising vehicles
  • Axles, Suspension, Steering
  • Brake Conversions
  • Exhaust Systems
  • Fuel Systems
  • External Gauges
  • Engine Changes
  • Steering Wheels
  • Wheels and Tyres
  • Body-Chassis Structural Alterations
  • Replacement Engines
  • Bonnet Scoops and Protrusions
  • Additional Types of Lamps and Lighting
  • Glazing Windscreens and Windows

EPA Victoria Modifed Vehicle Guidelines (dated 2006 but appears to be most recent version): http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf
This one covers the legalities of:
  • Intake systems
  • Fuel Systems
  • Engines
  • Turbochargers/Superchargers
  • LPG Conversions
  • Positive Crankcase Ventilation
  • Engine Management Systems
  • Auxiliary and replacement fuel tanks
  • Exhaust Manifolds
  • Exhaust Systems
  • Noise Limits

Might be worth printing a copy of these out and putting them in your glove box in case a cop pulls you up and wants to discuss the legality of your mods. Don't ever be a dick to them, give them full respect as they can get you for just about anything, just say "I know what your saying but I actually looked up the legality of these and have the printout in my glove box".

Let them get the papers out of the glovebox too, otherwise they'll crap their pants thinking you are about to pull a weapon :)

Last edited: