Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIDEO] HORN RANDOMLY GOING OFF??? also triggered by highbeams!!? very embarrasing!!

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Hey guys well I own a 2011 VE SS series 2 REDLINE ute.
It has 50,000KMS on the clock. very well kept after. I bought it from the showroom roughly 7 months ago and has been perfect running ever since I got it. I love it!!! BUTTTT
Basically for the last 2 weeks something strange has been happening...

I thought it was a weird clutch problem... Id be at the traffic lights.. clutch in and what I could hear is my horn randomly going off.... except it wasnt the full blown horn noise...Sort of half way of noise.. It is however, The horn. It seem's to go away after i take my foot off the clutch and brake at the lights.... Maybe that's not related, im unsure.....

I also can trigger this weird horn noise by turning on my highbeams!?? I can activate the horn by flicking on my highbeams ... on / off ... on / off... .and then sometimes, it doesn't do it...

About roughly 80% of the time It is doing it, and now im noticing the horn will activate quietly ... get a little louder... then go quieter when im not even in the car... Car was in neutral while I was getting smokes at the servo this morning...

It's becoming very embarrasing while sitting at the traffic lights when people think im blowing them off and in return I get the finger, and people yelling at me..

I took it to a mechanic down the road from me and he swapped the relay (HORN 17A) with the (FOGLIGHTS)....I put on the highbeams and it didn't do it anymore! while I was leaving the mechanic and thought .. hmm must of been a sticky relay or something... It started again... randomly and triggered by the highbeams again...

Ahhhhh!! So guys.. what do I do? where Should I investigate? very odd and embarrassing problem which is probly going to start some fierce road rage attack with the dodgy area im living in at the moment, so its quite urgent lol. The car has just ran out of car warranty aswell! I hope its not going to be one of these problems where an auto-electrician cant find where the problem is coming from and half the car is torn apart to get inside the dash wires etc, costing me over a grand to fix in labour and time......, what on earth could of even started this problem in the first place for a new car that is so well kept after? this car is Comeplty stock. I have not fiddeled wires and installed an aftermarket stereo, There is no other issue with my car except this.

There is a video that im currently uploading and will link to youtube today so keep posted.

Cheers! BRAD!

Y

Yarsii

Since it's just out of warranty, try your local dealer and there's a good chance they will cover it under a goodwill warranty through Holden.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
If the horn was being triggered each time you switched on the high beam headlights why would changing the horn relay make any difference? I would start checking the wiring in the steering column behind the steering wheel to begin with. As mentioned above take the car to your selling dealer and he may fix it for you if the car is just out of warranty and only 50000 on the odo. There may well have been other cars into the workshop with the same issue.

In the meantime, until fixed, I would remove the horn fuse so the horn can no longer be activated and cause dramas for you on the road. Not ideal - but safer for you. The horn fuse is located in the fuse panel in the engine bay.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Gives new meaning to having a horny car! lol

Sorry, I can't believe it hadn't been said already.

The clutch/horn this is completely puzzling, but the high beam one is likely wiring related. Maybe something in the steering column. Maybe one of the wires is missing a bit of insulation or something the flicking of high beam causes a moment of horniness.

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
Sounds like a poor earth somewhere.

BTW how loud is your horn if you just blow? Is it as loud as it should be?

Nfsve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
If you remove the horn relay does it stop altogether?
The horn is either on or off. Unusual that it is making some other sound unless the relay is flicking on for just a sec.

V SPEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
I had a similar sort of problem with high beams, and the half horn which was triggered when i swapped out my headlight globes to HIDs. I fiddled around with all the cables to ensure they were connected correctly, and it went away. So im going with the previous comment about a bad earth.

rpalmowski

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec
I had the same problem. It's a bad earth. I got it when I forgot to connect the earth back on after removing the air filter box. Try it, it's definitely a bad earth