Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VIM and RSE activation

Ajgrant63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 series 2
I have a series 2 SV6 MY12
I have had the VIM and RSE activation done by Tonkins in Adelaide.
However.....I'm not sure what to do now as its function is a mystery to me and not what I anticipated.
I was hoping to be able to plug a usb into the usb plug in the centre console and play movies. Thats assuming the head unit can read movie files and display them. If not then at the very least I anticipated being able to plug my iPhone 5 into the centre console usb and then play movies on my phone that would display on the IQ....
So.....am I doing something wrong? Do I need other cables? Do I need to access the rear aux to use the VIM and RSE?
I'm assuming the USB in the centre console is the front aux? And the rear aux is to be found on the drivers side of the headunit?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ajgrant63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 series 2
Surely someone here has had this done? I've called tonkins and they think I need a cable from the rear aux to my iPhone
I have seen YouTube clips from companies selling mods showing southpark playing on iq screen from iPhone
Any comment or advice would be appreciated

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The vim and rse/DVD input enable on the iq unit enables the aux video input (composite video) which is used by the roof mounted DVD player in CalaisV, statesman and caprice models.

You can get a cable that plugs in to the side of the IQ unit, which allows you to connect a composite video source (such as a camera, DVD player, laptop with composite video, etc)

As for the IQ unit, it does not have DVD or avi/mp4/mov file support.

Hope this helps

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Surely someone here has had this done? I've called tonkins and they think I need a cable from the rear aux to my iPhone
I have seen YouTube clips from companies selling mods showing southpark playing on iq screen from iPhone
Any comment or advice would be appreciated

You need to jailbreak phone and run an app from Cydia. There is a new jailbreak for 6.1.3 but dunno if it works on iPhone 5

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes iphone 5 untethered jailbreak is out. App is called Display Out by Ryan Petrich.

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
can you take a screen shot of the "lockouts" screen and post please

also cant play video through the USB as ZerOne said.. need to input via the side video connector

Ajgrant63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 series 2
Thanks for the replies. I hope tonkins can sort out the cable to plug the iPhone in thru rear aux
Would have preferred using the fron aux as I use now to play music
I'm not sure what benefit a jail broken phone would have or the display out app but I'd love to know.
Can't find a jailbreak for iPhone 5 6.1.4 either but I'll keep searching
Thanks!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what benefit a jail broken phone would have or the display out app but I'd love to know.
Can't find a jailbreak for iPhone 5 6.1.4 either but I'll keep searching
Thanks!
The app mirrors iphone screen on connected monitor, detects orientation and connectivity, supports all game and videos, customizable zoom and ratio.
If you are on 6.1.4 then likely have to wait for 7.0 jailbreak sorry. Also unclear if iphone 5's lightning bolt to legacy connector allows same connectivity via third party apps (think has a chip?).
Mirroring via cable is not usually a std feature of iOS, i don't think...
Nowadays AirPlay (BT or WiFi) is the official way for unjailbroken phones to stream. Otherwise is Lightning AV out which supports hdmi.

Ajgrant63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 series 2
Ok cool
Thanks for the info
I guess in the meantime I will just wait for tonkins to work out what cable I need to use iPhone through rear aux and keep an eye out for a jailbreak that will work

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Ok cool
Thanks for the info
I guess in the meantime I will just wait for tonkins to work out what cable I need to use iPhone through rear aux and keep an eye out for a jailbreak that will work

NP, what I meant is that I'm 80% sure only audio will come out the end of iphone cable anyway without Jailbreaking, as current iOS defaults media output to AirPlay or HDMI à la mode.