Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VIN not identified... VE Stereo

Gillystylez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had issue with their VE stock headunit randomly saying :

"VIN not identified"

it will pop up and then go in 10 seconds or so but sometimes it will stay for much longer, its the stock sterero that comes on a 2013 VE Ute ( Red screen )

Cheers

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Mine's been doing it too mate, it's the BCM dropping communication intermittently. As mine got worse it also kills my wipers and indicators too.

You'll need a replacement BCM and get it coded to your car.

Sometimes I'll go days without an issue, sometimes it will happen 2-3 times per drive.

Apparently it's a pretty common issue with the series 2's. The BCM basically routes traffic throughout the CANBUS system and once it starts to die it starts sending funky data around the CANBUS network and in your case, drops the VIN data output from the BCM.

They do a lot more than they did in older models, they basically run all the electronics in the car.

Last edited:

Gillystylez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
Mine's been doing it too mate, it's the BCM dropping communication intermittently. As mine got worse it also kills my wipers and indicators too.

You'll need a replacement BCM and get it coded to your car.

Sometimes I'll go days without an issue, sometimes it will happen 2-3 times per drive.

yeah it comes and goes, very annoying. I havent had the wiper issue with mine yet *touchwood.

Are you going to replace the BCM ?

Gillystylez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
Yeah just waiting on the right one to come in stock, should hopefully be done by the end of the month. Not a cheap excersize.

dam, what you think the damage will be to get it fixed if you dont mind me asking ?

if you got a link to purchuse one please let me know mate, i need to get thius fixed too.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'm going through a Holden dealer just because it's my daily and I rely on it so I don't want to risk a second hand one just doing the same thing again.

I don't think I'll walk away with change from a grand after coding.

Gillystylez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
I'm going through a Holden dealer just because it's my daily and I rely on it so I don't want to risk a second hand one just doing the same thing again.

I don't think I'll walk away with change from a grand after coding.
fmd - its going to be that much ehy.

yeah i need to find a holder dealer here that would do it.... in Sydney

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If you do some googling I reckon theres some mobs that can pre-program them to your vins and send them out if you wanna go the second hand route.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had issue with their VE stock headunit randomly saying :

"VIN not identified"

it will pop up and then go in 10 seconds or so but sometimes it will stay for much longer, its the stock sterero that comes on a 2013 VE Ute ( Red screen )

Cheers
Contact LS Xtreme in Ballarat Victoria

www.LSXtreme.com.au

you’ll save big $$$’s compared to Holden’s & they do mail/post service

Last edited:

Gillystylez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
Digging up one of my old post here but i am wanting to know if there is any good auto electricians out here in Sydney to diagnose my “vin not identified issue “

As mentioned before, the car will drive and work ok and audio unit will be find but then all of a sudden the audio screen will say “vin not identified” and the air con will go crazy and then after a while it will come back to normal. At times it the whole console wont even light up upon starting of the car.