Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vinyl Wrap

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Series 2 SSV Redline W375 2016 FGX XR6 T
Hi Guys any thoughts on vinyl wrapping your vehicles?

Cheers
Paul

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
On my E3, I have the front guards, bonnet and bar, side skirts, dog legs all covered in clear 3M film and you can hardly see it. I have the centre on the bumper and the lower doors in matte black. I think it looks great and the stone chips are non existant on the bonnet. I would do it on any decent car.

I didn't get it done on my daily - VF. Wish I did now as the bonnet shows the chips really bad on the black paint.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
On my E3, I have the front guards, bonnet and bar, side skirts, dog legs all covered in clear 3M film

I'm looking at doing this too. Do you mind if I ask what it set you back?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I had it done by a guy who is no longer in business, did a great job. Was about $1500 all up. I've had the bonnet and bumper redone by another well known company in Sydney (thru insurance after an incident) and I am unhappy with some of their work and about to chase them up again to redo the matte black section for a second time.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
The VFs have an annoyingly thin coat of paint which makes them highly susceptible to paint chips. My first Sv6 was in a Red Hot and after a few drives along the Motorway, you could easily see the red paint chipped off along the bonnet and the light undercoat showing underneath. Looked horrible and also quite sad because you haven’t done anything you weren’t supposed to with the car.

I have had a clear wrap applied to both my Calais V and Director from Ozicozi in Artarmon (Sydney). Done all over which includes headlights, doors, body, etc. and I even noticed they’ve covered the black trim below the DRLs on the Director, and the red trim on the lower radiator grille. It is around $4,200 to do a full car wrap and takes a week. If you’re lucky they will throw in a layer of Gtechniq Exo V3 too which makes it very glossy, plenty of water beading, and easy to clean. But talk to Andrew and Lee who did my cars and they are fantastic people and do an excellent job. They have a website and prices are available on their Facebook page. I notice OP’s car is black, judging by the display picture, which makes the wrap easier to maintain as the wrap has been formulated by joins that follow the badging, lettering, trim and body joins of the car (if it’s white, the dust settles between the joins of the wrap and gives very distinct lines on your car so you’ll need to keep washing it!).

Note that you will also get some wrappers who may charge a lot more (I know one in Alexandria which uses 3M and does a full wrap for around $7,500). These guys will do it differently where all door handles, badging, and other trim are removed to create one continuous wrap on the car so that those joins I mentioned earlier are not there (ie. if you were vinyl wrapping a car to a different colour, this is what they would need to do too to ensure consistency). Personally, the $4k job does the same for me and I’m not concerned about the joins (you won’t really notice them unless you look up close). Also there is no need to remove the badging and trims which I find is better since I don’t want anyone to be fiddling around with their placement and sticking / resticking.