Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 202 EFI problem runs and them dies and slightly conks out then i turn right??

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Caprice VK Calais VN V6
bit of a long story..
okay so here's what happened

normal day dropped the misses off at tafe after work I went to pick her up.. on the way there is a high hill about 2-4km long I got to the top and the car started to conk out felt like I ran out of fuel.. i tried to start it again and it wouldn't kick over, let it sit made a phone call tried again ran fine for 4-8sec then slowly started to idle down i put my foot down and still nothing, i put my foot flat to the floor and it would run extremely rough and really low rpm bout 350-500. turned everything off phoned for help waited about 10mins it started and ran perfect waited 20-30 secs to see if it would happen nothing did so I drove off, got about 3-5km down the road turned left got off that RD and it started to happen again
it conked and I had a look at it, I relived the pressure in the fuel rail and it ran fine for about 1-2km. got some fuel for it because it was a little bit low but that still did nothing..

I got it home by reliving the fuel every time it conked and gave it 5mins rest.
I had a problem once before about a month ago with my injectors being clogged with dirty fuel so I just thought it was a delivery problem.
I took out my rail and cleaned it as well as my injectors, I dropped the tank cleaned the rust inside disconnected every fuel line in the car blow out the steel tubing under the car for the fuel with air and I bought all new fuel line and a new filter.
after two days it was all done and hooked up I put some fuel in she started up and ran perfect, did a few other things and that night took her for a drive about 40km around the place to see if it would happen again, it didn't so I filled her belly up thinking it was all good..
Friday morning was out driving turned Right on to 80kmh RD went to speed up and it lost all vroom for a split second, didn't think much of it just thought I had to run it in.

Friday night I went to work (I work in the city, about 25km from home) 4am drove her home same thing Saturday night. Sunday morning 7am got home slept got up 11am went for a day out with the misses in town we were about 2km from our destination and she conked again in the same way, pulled it over relived the pressure but that didn't do anything.. I did notice the temp was ever so slightly over its normal temp, got out the phone got straight on here looking up problems couldn't fine anything 25-30mins passed I started it up ran perfect waited 25-30sec while reving it to see if it would die it didn't so I drove off and took all the back streets covered about 3-5km got there parked it in the car park did our stuff came back 9-10hrs later about 10pm and drove it home with no problem except when I kept turning right and once or twice when I turned left it would lose power for a split second.
so from when I did all the work and after I filled it up I drove about 250km in those few days

anyway this morning was on my way to take the misses to tafe turned right it lost all power for a while then took off same thing when I went through a roundabout so we came home and I had a look but I don't know what might be causing my problem's and now I'm on here looking for help.

the car was sitting around for about 3-4 years and I only started driving it 11 months and I didn't have to do a thing to it.
in the last 2-3months I've put a few new things in.
new water pump
new spark plugs new leads
new dizzy cap and rotor
new vacuum lines
new fuel filter and lines

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Caprice VK Calais VN V6
that's what I was thinking but it seem okay..
25 mins ago I put it up on the ramps, connected a battery to the pump with connectors ( my pump is external, sits in front of the tank)
and pumped out 5L of fuel not a problem but then it started to come out with fuel and air bubbles but left it for 2-3mins had a smoke and it started pumping fine again then the air bubbles.. but my guess is the fuel bowl in the tank getting empty quickly and with no return line pumping fuel back in the bowl it comes out air rated..??

its all back together now and took it for a test drive, still loses power when I turn Right tho..
But I still cant wrap my head around why it just stoped working theose two times..

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
sounds like what happened to mine before i sold it.

spent months trying to work it out, as soon as the car was warm itd die. spent hours on tow trucks. (luckily i had free 20k towing, id never get far :p )

it turned out to be in the fuse box, i think the tachometric relay, i pulled it out after it died once and it was too hot to touch. (legit dropped it down the engine bay.

sprayed out whole fuse box pulled out every fuse and relay one at a time spraying electrical contact cleaner on it. and soaked the tachometric relay in it.

it then drove fine all week.
later that week i drove it to the new owners, and they havent had a problem since.. worth a go.