Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk 202 EFI wont start.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Does it have a digital dash? I've seen the taco short out the ignition more than once. did you find +12volt on the injectors and coil positive?
when you changed the module did you test the pick up in the distributor I used to have keep a known working airflow metre around to test for a dud airflow metre on vk efi as I never knew how to test the airflow metre, I don't think it will run with out it or the coolant temp sensor but can't remember to say 100% on either of those 2 .

jesse santilli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 202efi
Does it have a digital dash? I've seen the taco short out the ignition more than once. did you find +12volt on the injectors and coil positive?
when you changed the module did you test the pick up in the distributor I used to have keep a known working airflow metre around to test for a dud airflow metre on vk efi as I never knew how to test the airflow metre, I don't think it will run with out it or the coolant temp sensor but can't remember to say 100% on either of those 2 .
Nah it's just a sl dash. Took the cap of the airflow meter and it was moving up and down the slider as It was cranking

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Had a similar issue with my VC, where it would have power at the coil, but upon cranking it lost power....Never found the main cause, as I wired up seperate starter wiring to a push button.

So perhaps, have the ignition on and bridge the starter wiring and see if it fires

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The ignition system is totally separate to the ecu for these models. They work in exactly the same way as the blue motor ignition systems.

Try replacing the ignition module - this is the problem 99% of the time. Old corollas/pulsars etc use a bosch dizzy with the same module. I used to grab them from the wreckers cheap a few years back. Always good to keep a spare in the car.

The tachiometric relay takes signal from the ignition, starter and the coil. So without ignition pulse it’ll only prime the fuel pump shortly then stop, will power the pump when cranking and that’s it. Should hear the relay click on and off when it ‘primes’ when ignition is turned to the on position.

jesse santilli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 202efi
The ignition system is totally separate to the ecu for these models. They work in exactly the same way as the blue motor ignition systems.

Try replacing the ignition module - this is the problem 99% of the time. Old corollas/pulsars etc use a bosch dizzy with the same module. I used to grab them from the wreckers cheap a few years back. Always good to keep a spare in the car.

The tachiometric relay takes signal from the ignition, starter and the coil. So without ignition pulse it’ll only prime the fuel pump shortly then stop, will power the pump when cranking and that’s it. Should hear the relay click on and off when it ‘primes’ when ignition is turned to the on position.
Replaced ignition module already

jesse santilli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 202efi
With what? Genuine?

You’re going to have to look at the ignition system properly.
Should i have alook at the wiring and stuff behind the steering column?

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Does it have spark?
Does it have power going to the coil while the key is in the run and start positions?
before you go pulling more things apart for no reason.

On a side note the track on the airflow metre wears out and looses contact with the wiper arm watching it move doesn't prove its working.