Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk 304 alternator

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Hay guys
I'm doing my vk 304 conversion and was just curious to know what a standard Vn alternator will do, what's the max Amps on the unit?
I plan on running twin thermos I heard a 100amp proflow alternator is the way to go since I'll be running the thermos and also running the a/c and lights/sound system etc
Are the 100amp alternators physically bigger then standard? Any help would be much appreciated cheers guys

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
i ran twin thermos on a standard 304 alternator with no issues, only thing you might see if the headlights dull for a split second when the fans kick in, but being a VK and how poor the wiring is for the dull headlights you probally wont notice.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah vn-vs alternator is 80-85 amps..can get 100 or 110 amp version said to be for vs cop cars back in the day,should be holden part number for it or even aftermarket version.

Check your fuse box 9/10 vk-vl's have melted them or wiring lol.
Licorice thin earth wires all over the place in wiring harness & crap plugs that age/corrode over time especially wiring for lights.

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
Just run relays for your head lights

uglyGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Adayer Sportif
sire01MK said ; Just run relays for your head lights

Relays will only take the load or current away/out of your "Switch" in this case your talking about the head light switch which in almost all cases will go through a relay...

Anyway its still using the same load on the alternator and battery...

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. std VK V8 alternator is 55 amps upgraded to 85 with air (or police pack)

I run twin thermos and 2 leccy fuel pumps on the race car and use a 1 wire 120 amp.. does a super job :)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Just run relays for your head lights

... that's a must on VKs, Brock and plod ran them as the wires melted if you didn't use a relay with decent globes :)

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
You are all champions thanks guys
I will get an upgraded proflow unit I've rang everywhere an nobody can tell me if the physical size is different to standard and if they use the same
Mounting bracket and hole centres I might just bit the bullet and get one and sort it out when it arrives