Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 308 inlet manifold bolts

ssuterus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Calais, VZ Wagon
Guys,
I have noticed my recently purchased VK has 2 manifold bolts not quite right, one is packed with washers and the other one is not. I assume they are bottoming out because they are too long?
Are these bolts the same length as all the others?
Also i believe it is letting some exhaust into the cooling system, as the hoses get rock solid and it overheats. Could these manifold bolts be the cause or should i assume head gasket?
Cheers Pete

Copy of IMG_1356.jpgCopy of IMG_1355.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
looks like the exhaust crossover bolts, and yeah, if the bottom ones dont seal its possible they can fill your valley with exhaust, but it doesnt go into the cooling system as the cooling channels are at either end of the heads. what will happen is hot exhaust gas will fill your oil, heat it and blow oil out the breather/pcv system.

best option is to whip the intake off completely, give the surfaces a clean up and replace nice fresh new gaskets.

also advice when doing it: the intake gasket kit will come with 2 cork gaskets which seal the ends of your valley. throw them in the bin and use a nice thick (7-10mm) bead of silicone gasket goo. itll probably ooze out, but leave it for as long as possible (at least a few hours without starting the engine) then cut off the excess with a sharp razor blade.

those cork gaskets were designed by satan to ruin your life.

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
looks like the exhaust crossover bolts, and yeah, if the bottom ones dont seal its possible they can fill your valley with exhaust, but it doesnt go into the cooling system as the cooling channels are at either end of the heads. what will happen is hot exhaust gas will fill your oil, heat it and blow oil out the breather/pcv system.

best option is to whip the intake off completely, give the surfaces a clean up and replace nice fresh new gaskets.

also advice when doing it: the intake gasket kit will come with 2 cork gaskets which seal the ends of your valley. throw them in the bin and use a nice thick (7-10mm) bead of silicone gasket goo. itll probably ooze out, but leave it for as long as possible (at least a few hours without starting the engine) then cut off the excess with a sharp razor blade.

those cork gaskets were designed by satan to ruin your life.

yes they were designed by satin best to leave the bead of silly cun to dry a bit before putting the manifold on...depending on the manifold the bolts may not be all the same btw use new bolts....using the old bolts they stretch