Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 308 or LS1

KTMPWR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Hi all new here after your advise opinions on engine conversions for my 86 VK. It currently has a factory 202 5spd and I'm changing to V8 but am struggling to decide on whether to go with a cammed 308 carby replica build or stick a cammed LS1 in. What's your thoughts HELP

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Hi all new here after your advise opinions on engine conversions for my 86 VK. It currently has a factory 202 5spd and I'm changing to V8 but am struggling to decide on whether to go with a cammed 308 carby replica build or stick a cammed LS1 in. What's your thoughts HELP
2 sides to look at .. your preference of motor choice AND your $ budget as in carby 308 preference or efi LS/304.

Carby is cheaper at the start and for the standard vk v8 conversion bits and maintaining later even with upgrades for power.
Efi is dearer $ at the start, especially the electrical conversion/ecu in relation to stock or modified.

For just a cruizer/street car, why go 308 old technology when we are in 2020 and efi LS is so plentiful for aftermarket parts and repairs and technology, plus stock LS motor already gives you good power for money spent ratio.

I personally have done a 304/355 efi conversion and like the old V8 but you can't knock the LS to what it gives you staight of the bat, if you like yank motors, its just really personal taste/likes and money available and you can't go wrong either way especially for the 34 year old VK

KTMPWR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Thanks for that vin budget is no problem build costs aren't far apart in nz. I like the idea of the LS for its reliability and power but also like the factory holden motor originality and sound,tough 1

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Thanks for that vin budget is no problem build costs aren't far apart in nz. I like the idea of the LS for its reliability and power but also like the factory holden motor originality and sound,tough 1
Yer its hard choice, heart says 308 for sound n feel but brain says LS power regardless of money as either way your pocket will be lighter. So find another VK car and do/have both engines, best way in a dream world.

Also bear in mind what look/originality you want your bay to look like and I would say the LS is an easier look in a vk as you can keep your battery and washer/radiator bottles plus a few lil other things and most wiring is there as well in efi car.

A lot of people think of wanting/doing efi conversion in gen1 cars but most don't finish it properly as they realize all the bullshit things you have to change so car won't annoy you if something is dodgy, you are virtually changing everything from tailshaft, gearbox member/mountings, speedo cable/speed sensor/shifter, tank/fuel pump/lines/wiring, steering box/intermediate shaft, accel cable, relay box/fuses/ecu/battery boot relocation, radiator/maybe mounts, aircon fittings/relocation, cat/exhaust, and stronger/better diff as well, so in the end just to make it look slighty factory stock your replacing nearly everything and its a long haul.

The 308 is easier and quicker to change and parts easier to get and looks more factory, good luck which every way you go.

I did 99% of the conversion work myself but if I had to pay for it and had the money I would go LS for the extra kw's and wouldn't worry about the look of bay, The Ls has more potential power increases as well today in the market, the 308 is basically limited and getting deleted from the workplaces/shops so thing of having/keeping the car and mods say in the future ??

KTMPWR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Thanks you seem to know your stuff, appreciate yr feedback

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VN/VP 304 conversion would be the go. If you have the coin and it sounds like you do, you could have it stroked and cammed 355. VN/VP ECM is fairly basic compared to some of the later models. If engine weight is a concern you could opt for alloy heads. Cammed 355 in a VK would go plenty well enough.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'm a efi 304 tragic & done those conversions on everything I own & other peoples cars so they usually get my vote...also more power than carb 308 with nicer road manners.

That being said if got big budget...want big pwer reliably & don't mind getting car engineered LS all the way.

Buy ls3 driveline & do most of the work could scrape it in on 20k.Should atleast do 11's on strip & scare crap out of you on street.

KTMPWR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
I'm a efi 304 tragic & done those conversions on everything I own & other peoples cars so they usually get my vote...also more power than carb 308 with nicer road manners.

That being said if got big budget...want big pwer reliably & don't mind getting car engineered LS all the way.

Buy ls3 driveline & do most of the work could scrape it in on 20k.Should atleast do 11's on strip & scare crap out of you on street.

KTMPWR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
304 efi was the other option but for me it comes down to originality of the 308 or power reliability of LS. Stroked to 355 would be awesome but bang for buck LS seems better option thanks

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
If money is no object then certainly go the LS route. Keep in mind that with the 304/308 and in particular a stroker 355/383 you can still get some serious power out of them and it would be quite a bit cheaper.