Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk 308 rebuild ?

Beaumancho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 308
I have a 308 motor that I'm swapping into a different VK it had duel fuel attached when I pulled it out so I wanted to get rid of all the LPG stuff and get strait petrol .
I just want a nice running 308 nothing too fancy, I need some advice on how I should go about it,eg do I need to rebuild the motor,should I put a different carby on it or anything else, Any idea on the $$$ for rebuilding/getting rid of the gas .
Cheers guys any advice would be awesome

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Most early LPG installations (80-90s) are generally “dual fuel” conversions, so you should be able to remove all the LPG proprietary items. Ie tank, mixer, fuel shut off, hoses, switches, wiring etc & revert it back to original dedicated petrol use. Depending on the length of time it was used on LPG it may pay to flush the fuel tank, replace the fuel filer, strip & clean the carb, new plugs etc. It will need a good retune as LPG normally runs more timing. Get it running first & then make an informed decision on what the next step is.

Beaumancho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 308
Thanks mate sounds like a good plan get her going first then take it from there.
Cheers for the advice.

Beaumancho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 308
Any tips on cleaning the fuel tank out and my missus dad is trying to help but wants me to pull the motor apart a bit and make sure all is well wich is cool but not sure if I have the time or smarts ,the motor was running fine before I took it out I think just take all the gas stuff off clean her n put it in then go from there like lacksballs said wat chas think

Beaumancho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 308
image.jpg

Beaumancho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 308
Just wanna get it in there finished painting it last weekend

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
I would suggest to remove the fuel sender first & look into the tank (DRAIN THE TANK COMPLETELY FIRST), depending on what you see then you can decide to either remove it and flush it or, if it is too far gone replace it. There are many threads on this site that informs you to a number of different commodore fuel tanks options that can be used in a VK. If it's just stale fuel there are additives that can be used to flush it out, if you do clean it out make sure you have a couple of spare fuel filters and replace them at start up & after the first run. Continue to monitor the fuel filter regularly (many are plastic see through on carburettor engines).

Years ago I used to put 50 or so small 5/16" or 1/4" nuts in the tank with a couple of tablespoons of laundry soap powder & very hot water and shake it all about, which knocked most of the rust off, may had to repeat it a couple of times depending on the condition! Finished it off with a blast from a steam cleaner (yes a steam cleaner not the water blaster as we all have today), a final flush with meths then let it dry out in the sun!!!!!