Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk 4 speed problems

bennettvkcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais v8
okay so i was driving home from work today and noticed the gearbox was whining abit, a few mintues down the road i stopped and went to start and 1st gear wouldnt engage unless i pushed hard and held it in gear, now it wont go into 1st, 2nd, when its in third it makes sounds like something is hitting something inside the box and it drops out of third if i dont hold it in. Is my gearbox f***ed? How much to fix a 4 speed?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Judging by your description i would say its totally f***ed, i assume you've got a calais thats a 6? it should be an injected one and if you've put a Vk 6cyl manual gearbox behind it- its gonna break sooner or later.
The 4 & 5 speeds for VK were very weak and are maxed out behind carbed 202's and often broke when given a caning in them.

bennettvkcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais v8
nah its behind a stroked 8, would a vk 5 speed be a good option to go to i need something cheap as im a 1st year apprentice

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Well i know how you feel money wise..........
From memory their were 2 five speeds available, 1 was the M76 borgwarner- definitely not for an 8.
The other was a very rare T5, may have been a brock special im not sure.... only came out with the 304? and they are worth a fortune especially on an apprentice wage.
Anyway most other 5 speeds are gonna be pretty expensive to put in as well due to having to get different bell housings probably clutches etc i dont know much about bolting up Supra boxes etc to 308's, but it can be done. You probably better off getting an identical box and chucking it in and its the cheapest option.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
make sure the external shift linkages are adjusted properly or not broken, before writing the box off.
They are easy to get to, just look at the r/h/s of the box, you'll see 2 shift rods with threaded rods

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
make sure the external shift linkages are adjusted properly or not broken, before writing the box off.
They are easy to get to, just look at the r/h/s of the box, you'll see 2 shift rods with threaded rods

Oh yeah i forgot about the external linkages, i spose it could be possible its trying to grab two gears at once. hence the mad internal noises.

bennettvkcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais v8
ok can i see the linkages through the inside of the car or do i have to put it up on a hoist?