Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 5l dizzy cap wearing out and leads come loose, break

megabuff

Reaction score
Hi all

The guy who sold me my car told me it had a new dizzy cap recently fitted. If he's telling the truth, then its only done 10,00km.

It started missfiring and i found the inside of the cap has been arcing between 1 and 3 cylinders.

surely the cap should last longer than that!

i'm wondering if it could it may have been damaged by driving for 80km with one lead loose?

it was running rough and missing on one cylinder and i was checking all the leads, ti ensure they were all connected to the plugs and also to the dizzy, and they were all ok. It wasnt till the next morning in the better light that i discovered the No3 lead had come out of its end cap DOH.

Is this a common problem, leads comming off the plug or out out their end connections?

the leads are new but it has happened to me a few times now.

BTW Ive seen these dizzys on ebay for around the $70 mark, i was quoted $40 just for the Cap and so if there are any good, it might be the go. In their add they are saying that the holden HEI dizzy is not very good. is this just hype or are they right?

HOLDEN V8 253-304-308 DISTRIBUTOR HEI 50,000 volt - eBay Ignition Systems, Ignition, Charging, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Jun-09 10:34:18 AEST)

and
HOLDEN V8 253-304-308 DISTRIBUTOR HEI 50,000 volt - eBay Ignition Systems, Ignition, Charging, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 15-Jun-09 00:32:37 AEST)

this ones dearer but has leads as well

Holden V8 253-304-308-355 Ignition System - eBay Ignition Systems, Ignition, Charging, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 16-Jun-09 00:18:40 AEST)

BTW deoa the lastest model comodores still have Dizzies or is it fully computerised?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
seems like a good deal and 3 year warrenty cant go wrong there HEI are good

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hi all

The guy who sold me my car told me it had a new dizzy cap recently fitted. If he's telling the truth, then its only done 10,00km.

It started missfiring and i found the inside of the cap has been arcing between 1 and 3 cylinders.

surely the cap should last longer than that!

i'm wondering if it could it may have been damaged by driving for 80km with one lead loose?

it was running rough and missing on one cylinder and i was checking all the leads, ti ensure they were all connected to the plugs and also to the dizzy, and they were all ok. It wasnt till the next morning in the better light that i discovered the No3 lead had come out of its end cap DOH.

Is this a common problem, leads comming off the plug or out out their end connections?

the leads are new but it has happened to me a few times now.

BTW Ive seen these dizzys on ebay for around the $70 mark, i was quoted $40 just for the Cap and so if there are any good, it might be the go. In their add they are saying that the holden HEI dizzy is not very good. is this just hype or are they right?

HOLDEN V8 253-304-308 DISTRIBUTOR HEI 50,000 volt - eBay Ignition Systems, Ignition, Charging, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Jun-09 10:34:18 AEST)

and
HOLDEN V8 253-304-308 DISTRIBUTOR HEI 50,000 volt - eBay Ignition Systems, Ignition, Charging, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 15-Jun-09 00:32:37 AEST)

this ones dearer but has leads as well

Holden V8 253-304-308-355 Ignition System - eBay Ignition Systems, Ignition, Charging, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 16-Jun-09 00:18:40 AEST)

BTW deoa the lastest model comodores still have Dizzies or is it fully computerised?

I woudl hazard a guess **** or wrong cap plus crap leads

Look at decent leads I can highly recommend Magnecore leads from Thundercords Thundercords - Australian Distributors for Magnecor I have had many dealings with Neil and could recommend them more highly. I have NEVER had one of their leads fail.

As for Cap the original VK unit from memory was a large cap not the smaller cap you see most of the time. A retro fit was to fit a ford dizzy cap I think off a cleavland or something to them to get rid of the smaller cap. However holden put the large cap on dor a reason to stop arcing so you may have the wrong cap.

cheers
scott

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
As for Cap the original VK unit from memory was a large cap not the smaller cap you see most of the time. A retro fit was to fit a ford dizzy cap I think off a cleavland or something to them to get rid of the smaller cap. However holden put the large cap on dor a reason to stop arcing so you may have the wrong cap.

cheers
scott

We've gone to a smaller cap on the race car coz we didn't have much adjus tment in the dizzy with the big cap coz it hit a vacuum port on the intake (edelbrock performer).

At the moment the cap we're using is a VN-VT 5.0L with leads to suit the same (the cap doesn't have the nipples on top), and the rotor button was out of a dizzy which I got off a mate, but another mate said about using the Ford V8 cap and rotor button. So I guess when it's time to replace the rotor button we'll use the Ford V8 one, and continue using the VN-VT 5.0L cap and leads.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
call me stupid, but i bought one of those ebay dizzys with the smaller cap cos' the large standard one wouldnt fit with my edelbrock manifold...

ummm. you can just take the bottom fitting off the dizzy (comes in two pieces 4 clips) and put one of the small ebay dizzy caps on it :) 20 bucks :)

p.s. i have had nothing but trouble with my ebay one. you may get away doing what i did and swapping the internals for bosch but DO NOT buy the coil!!! they are great to start with, then they start running out of spark. i got one of those too, and now i am back to a bosch HEC715 which are awesome. the leads that came with the ebay junk are soon to be replaced as well.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
cheap ebay dizzys = bad idea. look for some info on procomp distributors and youll see why

megabuff

Reaction score
thanks for the info on the ebay units, one and all.

I was told that the bigger dia caps are better to prevent arcing! any idea on this?

ummm. you can just take the bottom fitting off the dizzy (comes in two pieces 4 clips) and put one of the small ebay dizzy caps on it :) 20 bucks :)
can you please expailian that in a bit more detail?

are you saying the ebay cap will fir the standard holder dizzy? and that they are only $20.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Yeah the standard dizzy which has the big cap, is in 2 bits. The top part of the cap which gets replaced every so often, and the lower plastic bit unclips off the dizzy too, and u can clip on the smaller cap, and put a smaller rotor button in it. :thumbsup: