Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk 5ltr

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Not sure why you're replacing everything untill you actually know what fault is or what is causing the issue hence start with basics like fault codes,fuel pressure & checking things wiith multimeter.

Could be something simple or fluke fix like a loose plug etc

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have you adjusted the throttle body stop screw at all?

Allan78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
Not sure why you're replacing everything untill you actually know what fault is or what is causing the issue hence start with basics like fault codes,fuel pressure & checking things wiith multimeter.

Could be something simple or fluke fix like a loose plug etc
Hi I did check all connections and check for codes only 12 comes up

Allan78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
Have you adjusted the throttle body stop screw at all?
Yes tried that to as per post once the idle electric valve decides it wants to open it idles but up am down idle I can drive the car with no issues until I stop it then I need to use the excellirator peddle to start it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The correct way to set the idle stepper motor requires a computer or scanner but you can do it manually, remove the intake pipe with the engine running and up to temp. Slowly slide your finger over the hole for idle stepper motor and fully block it, then adjust the idle stop screw so the engine idles a bit below the desired idle speed.

It seems like the ecu doesn't know when the to go into idle mode, is it an auto/manual conversion? It might be an issue with the speed sensor, if the ecu doesn't know when the car has stopped it doesn't know when to go into idle mode. Does the speedo work correctly?

Allan78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
The correct way to set the idle stepper motor requires a computer or scanner but you can do it manually, remove the intake pipe with the engine running and up to temp. Slowly slide your finger over the hole for idle stepper motor and fully block it, then adjust the idle stop screw so the engine idles a bit below the desired idle speed.

It seems like the ecu doesn't know when the to go into idle mode, is it an auto/manual conversion? It might be an issue with the speed sensor, if the ecu doesn't know when the car has stopped it doesn't know when to go into idle mode. Does the speedo work correctly?
Hi ill try that, iam starting to think it might be a manifold leak as per some threads I have been reading

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Hi ill try that, iam starting to think it might be a manifold leak as per some threads I have been reading
Would a leak not make engine misfire, you stated the engine ran fine before your issue
i have put a vp 5lt in to my vk from my vn
This sounds confusing unless its a typo, you put a VP 5lt into your VK from your VN ????

VP and VN have slightly different engine harness plugs/connections from the ecu to the fuse/relay plugs in bay. Early VN engine harness has yellow tab on the plugs. The late VN harness is same as VP.
So which V6 conversion harness did you buy and connect ???? The VP or VN one ????

Also as @immortality noted speed sensor is vital for ecu to calculate idle at standstill. Did you connect the V6 harness to the geabox ???

Allan78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
The vp v8 was originally put into the vn for 5 year nil issue I then put the vp in vk with the correct v6 conversion harness brought for v6 conversion at morree as i have used them before ,right when the engine was fitted to the vk ran fine the it developed to idle issue the electric speedo works fine as i made the vn cluster fit the vk dash.hope this clarifys the vp vn issue.