Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 6 to 5L conversion

Bastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Anyone able to help me find a reasonably priced 5litre for my VK? I keep looking all over the net (Car Sales, Trading Post, Ebay) in an attempt to find a reasonably priced setup to convert my VK to an 8.

I'm open to suggestions but probably looking at a carbie 304/308 or a VN/VP 5L EFI. Probably looking more at the carbie though as I'm tipping a conversion will be cheaper and easier.

Am I better off getting a whole other car and ripping everything out of it? To my knowledge I need a new diff, exhaust, brakes, springs & radiator and transmission. Is this accurate or is the box & tranny all I need?

I've found this motor on ebay... HOLDEN COMMODORE V8 304 308 ENGINE & TRIMATIC TRANS. (eBay item 180617709706 end time 01-Feb-11 13:38:29 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

does this look like a good deal or is he asking too much?? If I went a setup like that what else would have to be changed??? And also is there much involved from changing a VK EFI to a carbie 304/308?? Thanks.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Exhaust, springs, radiator and transmission are definite.

I haven't played with early commo's, so not sure if there's a difference between the diff and brakes between 6 and v8. On Torana's there isn't so could be the same, but don't quote me.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Brakes are the same in the front, V8s have a bigger booster and a disc brake rear end with a different master cylinder to suit.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
All disc brake all around have the bigger booster, not just V8s. Also with master cylinders, some had the 15/16, others 1 inch.

bradj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk,vk,vl
brakes are all different if you want it to stop right and not just have shitty old 1984 technology. Thats why everyone changes them these days

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Gday ,If you going for a carby setup. motor/box, v8 tailshaft,springs, brakes (I'm using vt brakes.). diff in the car will be fine as long you don't do many burnouts. :) Wiring 6 to v8 its not the hard. Im doing this setup at this moment, I hope this helps. Cheers Jason

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
lol, wiring... coil and starter.... thats pretty much it.

hey that setup on ebay isnt too bad.VA is in fact LV2, but dunno where he gets that "hi comp" business from since they are 8.8:1 CR and a stock L31 vk black is 9.2:1 (big difference) it also has 1KW less power than a stock VK black.

this going in your VK? it looks like he has all the pollution stuff rigged up so thats a good thing, but your RWC guy may have a little 'episode' about the holley.

i dunno man, if your spending 1000 bucks though, it may be worth just buying a smashed EFI 5.0 and stealing all the bits off it. they come up sometimes for around 1500-2k. depends on your personal preference though. i would stick with carby ;)

Bastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
My questions are probably getting annoying sorry guys.

But...

Would the running gear out of a VQ Statesman bolt in fairly nicely into a VK. I've noticed these cars are quite cheap nowadays and the majority are 5 litres. The running gear would be pretty close to that of the VN, not quite as complex as the VR/VS 5 litre which I've heard has alot more wiring?

Thanks

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yep VQ 5L engine, k-frame and steering rack straight fit.
Just need a VL intermediate steering shaft to connect the rack

and yeah, VN/VQ don't use a BCM like a VR/VS, so it's a lot simpler