Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK air con

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
When I fitted the engine & connected the AC up, I put in a new dyer in then & had to have the test points changed as the machine could only accept later 134a fittings. The system was vacuumed & tested, oil added then recharged. Tx value is still the original (to the best of my knowledge).

Those Tx valves apparently have a small orifice and act like spray cans so are easily blocked up if the system is not kept clean.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The guy I work with put a sanden seven piston pump and limo box on his HQ 202 ute. I would say this is the best pre 90's system I've ever experienced.
Oh yea and he's running an XF carb and used the idle up on the carb off the compressor so it idles up when the ac is on it's just running a standard aftermarket thermo fan from memory or it might have AU fans.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The condenser size is very important, lots of vehicles are fitted with ones only just big enough from factory.

Both our VKs have ac, one has a later VN condenser / thermo fan and 35c + days it blows a lot cooler then the one with a factory condenser and small thermo.
Compressors are both sanden scroll type. TX valves original still.

Biggest problem is the system doesnt move enough air to effectively cool the cabin on really hot days.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The condenser size is very important, lots of vehicles are fitted with ones only just big enough from factory.

Both our VKs have ac, one has a later VN condenser / thermo fan and 35c + days it blows a lot cooler then the one with a factory condenser and small thermo.
Compressors are both sanden scroll type. TX valves original still.

Biggest problem is the system doesnt move enough air to effectively cool the cabin on really hot days.
Try a limo box I don't know if you're in the trade or not but cooldrive still sells the limo boxes. You can choose where you want to mount it you can even leave the OE evaporater in the circuit and add the limo box at the back. If you're running the big sanden pumps SD7 from memory they should handle it. The Rosa busses we service run 5kg of 134a on two car sized pumps so adding a limo box into a sedan circut should be easy on an SD7.
I'll have to ask the guy I work with whos a 30 year plus experience auto elec what condeser he used.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
In standard OE trim the VK's run a 23'' x 14'' x 7/8 serpentine style condenser. There is a "Parallel flow" aftermarket condenser available, they are the same size but are 30% to 40% more efficient which means less head pressure and stress on the TR-70. When I last priced one it was $260.00.

CN6285.jpg

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Are the old VK condensers reverse flushable?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The latest the VS was produced was the MY00 series 3 utes. Would the condenser and fans be the same design as the VN considering the front is still the same, and there for better to use than earlier models?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
The thermal expansion valve setup is a nightmare. Good in theory but real life is not theory. Would have been better having an orifice tube instead.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The latest the VS was produced was the MY00 series 3 utes. Would the condenser and fans be the same design as the VN considering the front is still the same, and there for better to use than earlier models?

Theres a few different designs in VN-VS, biggest problem i found was getting fittings to suit the VS one where as a VN on ran std -8 threaded or whatever it is that you can buy heaps of different fittings to suit. The VN one i bought is a parallel flow pretty much identical to a late VS one with different fittings on the inlet and outlet.
VN to VS have a variety of fan setups too, some condensers get an electric fan on the front. ALL V8s do but i have a VR v6 ute and its got one on it factory as well but then some dont so not sure what the go is there. VS v6 i havent seen one but the condenser has the fan mounts.

The thermal expansion valve setup is a nightmare. Good in theory but real life is not theory. Would have been better having an orifice tube instead.

TX valve is a relatively simple system and are pretty reliable, if you buy a new one i doubt you'll have trouble.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
TX valve is a relatively simple system and are pretty reliable, if you buy a new one i doubt you'll have trouble.

I hope so. From what i have read they are the first things that tend to block up that lead to the starving of the compressor to total failure. Tx valve has moving parts and moving parts tend to fail. it would be interesting to find out what components are the ones that fail in car air con systems. When an o ring goes the atmo gets into it and apparently that leads to issues and not just a loss of cooling.

Last edited: