Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Alternator Removal?

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
Basically my Vk has scored its 5th problem this week.

By the looks of it, the brushes on my alternator are dead, but I have no idea how to take out the alternator/brushes and I cant find a tutorial.

Anyone got one? I already looked in the how to section.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too late, already managed to get the new brushes in without taking the alternator out.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
take out 2 screws on the back of the alternator at each side of a black box on the back of the alternator, slide the black box out your brushes are on that get a new or s/h one with good brushes and install how you took it out its really easy to do, use a stubby flat screwdriver and if you cant comfortably get at the screws take the top bolt out of your alternator and swivel it down ,remember to remove your battery terminals first hope this helps.

edit lol i didnt notice the 3rd post down ,you already done it.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think I might write up a How-To after i fix my odometer.

Yeah, I disconnected the battery, but the battery terminals made contact again when I was under that car, right when I had the screwdriver jammed in the alternator. When I was dragged out, one of my mates said I was out cold for a few minutes.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
out cold from? did it scare you? lol. 12V isnt going to do much mate. makes a nice spark on your screwdriver, but its far from a defibrilliator.

in fact, even taking full zap from the coil hurts like a mofo but doesnt do anything

True, the coil converts the 12v into something like 20,000 volts but very little in the way of amps, and it's the amps that kill you.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
True, the coil converts the 12v into something like 20,000 volts but very little in the way of amps, and it's the amps that kill you.

Nah, I got zapped and i jumped and smashed my bead on the underside of the block.