Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK ball joints

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
far out guys! i have no idea how you do it with a hammer, i have smashed that thing, froze it for two days, heated up the arm with the oxy, took the control arm off and stuck it in the vice etc etc etc

fail fail fail fail

Are you talking about the taper where the shaft goes through the bottom of the strut? Or where the actual ball joint is pressed through the control arm?

Once the control arm is supported from underneath, one or two good hits with a hammer and ball joint pops straight out.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I have complete reco arms for that would work out cheaper than replacing BJ's and bushes if interested.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
where abouts in melbourne are you? i can fit them for you.
im in richmond, think im going to take them to my rwc guy and see if he can do them free.

Are you talking about the taper where the shaft goes through the bottom of the strut? Or where the actual ball joint is pressed through the control arm?

Once the control arm is supported from underneath, one or two good hits with a hammer and ball joint pops straight out.

i got them out ok, its just getting the new ones back in. everything i have tried has made it go on an angle and damage the control arm. i dont wanna kill it so have stopped trying.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ahh OK. Hitting the control arm with a hammer will put dings in it. But then you won't see it, so what does it matter? You won't hurt the integrity of the control arm.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
ouch, you need to take some care, it's easy enough to put the control arm out of shape which means the ball joint can pop out at a later stage (like mine did after having it fitted at a shop). i refitted mine and then put a small weld on each side underneath to ensure it won't come out again.