Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK ball joints

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes, they are a press fit. It can be done on the car. After clearing the strut from the ball joint, support the bottom of the control arm with an axle stand, and smash the ball joint out with your BFH, then place the ball joint in position from the bottom and support the ball joint with the axle stand, having a short piece of exhaust tube or similar to sit the ball joint on helps. Then tap the control arm down, forcing the ball joint up into position. Hit the control arm in alternating strikes on opposite sides of the ball joint to make it go in evenly.

Or you could just use a press and press the old one out and the new one in. This requires total removal of the control arm of course.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
they are kind of a press fit. There is special tools for it, but there is also backyard methods or you could just take the control arm off and drop it over to a suspension place and get them to fit the ball joints for you. But you can do it yourself.

Bash the old ones out with a hammer. Just put an axle stand under the control arm and go for gold - be careful not to damage the control arm.
Fitting the new ones, I find it easiest to put the new ball joint in the freezer for a few hours so the ball joint contracts in size. Fit it up from underneath the control arm, put a socket large enough to fit on the outer housing of the ball joint and then slide a jack underneath. Jack some weight onto the balljoint, place a lump of timber against the side of the control arm (as close as you can to the ball joint) and then belt it with the hammer several times. The ball joint should start sliding into place.

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
I have used darren's method, ball joint in freezer, then socket and the BFH, also a decent amount of swearing also helps.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
If you have trouble getting them out mine in my VK were 20+ years old when I chenged them, I bashed the living $h1t out of them and they wouldnt come out, used a ball joint remover fork and it still wouldnt budge. left it loose drove in and about to drive back intot he driveway and out it fell, to the nut anyway.
You can use an oxy to help loosen them also.

cheers
scott

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
He is talking about the actual ball joint that is pressed into the control arm, not where the mount goes into the bottom of the strut.

To crack that, you need to put downward pressure on the control arm and hit the taper at the same time.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
where abouts in melbourne are you? i can fit them for you.