Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Barra conversion

Mojos-vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calias
Hi
I have a VK Calias and i am do a Barra conversion in it. just wondering if anyone has done this and used the manual gear box.

thanks

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Obviously will need to be certified.
Have you had costings on that?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
What a way to take a pile of expensive old parts and turn them into a worthless pile of **** is the first thought that rolls around my head , Do up a falcon if you want to play with a barra reason I say this is if your life ever changes you have some thing that could be sold and you could get some money back. Wasting heaps of time and cash on the never was is never a good idea unless you buy a brand new car every time the ash tray is full.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Amended post.
Perhaps it’s a bent 8 and that might work.
Still not really worth doing it though is it?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't think I agree Boozer, is a VK really ever going to be worth anything? If it was a V8 Brock one well yes. But if the OP's VK is just an old VK Black 6 cyl I don't see it really going up enough to make it worth much. I could be wrong but I don't see a lot of people showing them. I saw Nissan Turbo 6 cyl transplanted into a LX at the car show yesterday, I did think WTF at that. Barra conversion in something like a VK I think yeah if you're building something to tear around in why not. Plenty of upgrades, especially if you have the Turbo Barra.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it’s a 6 pot Calais it’s only 3 litres (Nissan motor) and from memory maximum you can increase capacity is or was is 25 percent and that’s another 750cc total 3750 cc and a Barra motor is 4100cc.
Perhaps it’s a bent 8 and that might work.
Still not really worth doing it though is it?
??? Last VK 6cyl Calais we had in the family was a black 202. I thought only VL got the Nissan engine?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
My sincere apologies Losh you are correct.
I had a VK so should know better and yes it was a black motor.
So what is 202 in cc? Were they 3200 or 3300? So it might be close to legal.
I will amend my previous post and thanks again.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not something I would ever consider BTW. If I wanted a cool VK I'd go with an LS conversion and make something really speccy.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
it would probably be cheaper to rebuild a ba than a vk Calias these days. The way the engine and gear box are mounted would be most of the engineers inspection then if it passes the brake test what ever the engineer decides that should be and meet emissions of the vehicle the motor came from. if its a race car what class would it race in ? A turbo rb30 would be easier as you could use the vl stuff engine gearbox the mounts would all be bolt up with out too many major modifications

Last edited: