Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk blower legal issues

Triff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss
So Ive been doing some asking around and apparently I can fit up to a n/a 7 litre into vk. But only a 5 litre max boosted due to power to weight ratio. Ive noticed blown ls vks street registered and need knowledge on how to legally have mine modplated and regoed with the 6/71 blown ls2 I'm building

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
as far as i know u cant have blower sticking out of bonnet in a way that would injure a pedestrian more then just rolling over the bonnet itself

Sutter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
I have just recently been through this in NSW with my VC LS3 conversion and engineering in this state does not allow any forced induction on V8 in early series commodores if you want forced induction you will have to drop back to a Barra. The only way you can have blower on a V8 is take it on and off to get through your yearly inspection, although depends on your state, as some don’t have yearly inspections. Upshot is a blower won’t be legal strictly speaking, in NSW anyway. You are right on the N/a front I think maximum is 7ltr which I think is based on 2ltr increase over factory spec i.e. 5ltr.

Triff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss
Im in tassie so the yearly inspections arent a problem here. However your legally aloud to have forced induction but mod plate won't cover ls with forced induction. Was hoping theres some sort of loophole. As for being out the bonnet has to be within a certain limit before becoming illegal. If I were to go 5 litre and blower I wouldnt have any issues

Sutter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
Im in tassie so the yearly inspections arent a problem here. However your legally aloud to have forced induction but mod plate won't cover ls with forced induction. Was hoping theres some sort of loophole. As for being out the bonnet has to be within a certain limit before becoming illegal. If I were to go 5 litre and blower I wouldnt have any issues

Ahh with you now, I read the question wrong sorry man. On that issue my engineer told me the protrusion cannot obstruct the clear view of the driver and pedestrian safety is mitigated although he did not mention a maximum measurement of any kind. As for me I have two bonnets a standard one and a molded scoop bonnet so I can run the blower throughout the year and I remove the blower and put the standard bonnet back on for the annual inspection. In my experience even though the engineering rules are supposed to be a national standard there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in how various engineers interpret them, which makes me think they are somewhat broad in what they say. The other issue as far as I can see, is the difference in road-worthiness requirements of each state, these also seem to differ from state to state. I guess what I am saying is that there is some scope for engineers to use some judgement in interpreting and applying the standards so you just need to find the right one who will help you get the result you want. Good luck man

Last edited:

Triff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss
Think I'll have to adopt a similar method. 2 bonnets and two seperate manifolds modplate and pit pass as a n/a 6 litre then bold the blower back on and keep other manifold incase I get called in

Sutter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
Think I'll have to adopt a similar method. 2 bonnets and two seperate manifolds modplate and pit pass as a n/a 6 litre then bold the blower back on and keep other manifold incase I get called in

Yeah for me at least it’s the best way around it.