Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk brakes

Webster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vq caprice 5ltr 304
Hi, apologies if this has been posts, but is there v8 and 6 cylinder brake boosters/master cylinder for vk commodore, im doing a 6 to v8 conversion, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As far as I remember, there was only a different master cylinder....The 6 cyl one and some V8's were 15/16" and you also had a 1" one, which I think were commonly found on the 308 powered units

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
double diaphragm booster and 1 inch master cylinder on the v8's

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
The double diaphragm booster, is that the longer length one, when compared to the 6cyl booster?
Its a bit longer I've only changed 1 or 2 of them I only know from reading the book . The last time I took 1 off a v8 vh i put a VS 6 cylinder 1 on in its place the pedal felt the same it passed a brake test the bracket that holds the master cylinder to the inner guard might be different I remember welding and buggerising around with that .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Its a bit longer I've only changed 1 or 2 of them I only know from reading the book . The last time I took 1 off a v8 vh i put a VS 6 cylinder 1 on in its place the pedal felt the same it passed a brake test the bracket that holds the master cylinder to the inner guard might be different I remember welding and buggerising around with that .

I had a larger booster on my VC and had to put on a 6cyl VK one, as that was on hand....The bracket you are referring to, is too far away from the M/C to bolt up....So at least I know, my original one is a double diaphragm style now....

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Look at the VT brake upgrade threads, 1” m/c and dual diaphragm boosters are getting harder to find & by the time you o/haul them you’ve invested more into a poorer preforming brake system than upgrading to the later brake system.

Other than the hubs, VT sets up are very well priced. Use the std rear VB-VS rear disc set up & you have a descent brake that stops you! Just source good pads (depending on your driving style).

In summary you’ll need:
2 front hubs, VT (fast fill) master cylinder, VS plastic booster, VS resivour, VT front calipers, adopters for single flare & dual flare fittings on master cylinder to brake pipes, pair of VT rotors, new front brake hoses. Must refit the strut tower to master cylinder bracket to control flex when applying the brakes!

It transforms the braking system & looks all factory.