Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Calais 202 to LS Conversion

Emma_Louise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 / VK V8 Race Car / VK Calais
Hi All,

I am looking at swapping out the seized 202 from my VK Calais and putting in an LS. So obviously it is going to be a lot of work and money but I'm up for the challenge.

What are some things that I need to keep in mind when doing this build?
What diff & brakes would be best? Gearbox? Radiator? etc etc...

I'm not going to spare any expense on this build, I don't care if it takes me 10-15 years to complete.

Any help from you lot with be greatly appreciated as I am happy to take any info you have and experience on board.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
search the forum theres loads of LS conversion stuff, you will need a VL rack and VL-VS K frame - VN-VS V8 not the V6 kframe. Gearbox auto or manual? what HP will you be makeing stock or modified? the 4L60e autos etc used on them is ok manual either the T56 6 speeds or a mal wood box. Radiator I prefer the old copper radiators but PWR make nice alloy ones also.
Brakes will depends on the wheel you use, Bigger the better in my books harrop 6 pistons etc if you use an unlimited budget.
Forget about doing it over 10-15years few projects get finished lives change, interests change. Get 10-15k together and get into it right away, if your saving up throw a secondhand 202 back in it and keep it drivable while saving up the money to do the project

Emma_Louise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 / VK V8 Race Car / VK Calais
Cheers for the info.. Not sure on the gearbox probably auto. Will look into modifying the LS down the track but happy to put in a stock one for a start - to keep it driveable.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Auto wise go for the 4L60e or 4l65e. If you want something really cool think about this for a project

Holden VY-VZ Adventra V8 Wagon as doner car.
- AWD LS1 with 4L65E auto

VK
- Group C body Kit with flares (needed for the extra width of AWD)

IRS would probably be a bit of work to shoehorn in on the rear but a VN-VS sedan diff would fit up and be wider than the VB-VL diff (and cheaper)

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Forget about doing it over 10-15years few projects get finished lives change, interests change.
And newer better stuff comes along and you end up redoing every thing you've all ready done and wasting heaps of cash on crap you don't end up using.
I'm into year 10 of rebuilding my ek thats only counting the years I've actually worked on it.:bomb: