Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Calais digital dash to analog dash

mattw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VK Calais
Hi, I'm wanting to convert my digital dash in my VK Calais to a ex cop I have which is analog. Can it bolt straight in or do I need a new wiring loom or anything? Thanks.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Not sure on the wiring, I can only assume they are different, but if no one confirms or denies by tonight Ill have a look in the manual.
I know the Speedo drive cable is definitly different and you will need the correct one.

mattw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VK Calais
Yep the speedo is different as the electronic one uses pulse signals from the speedo transducer and not a cable to the dash. If I was able to just unplug the loom out of another car and plug it into the Calais one that would be very handy. Thanks.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
you'll have to pull the whole dash out to do it, but the question I ask is why would you want to? spend $200 and get a VDO dude to fix whatevers wrong with it. ex cop? whoopy do, just means that its had its fair share of lowlifes riding in the back seat.

in all seriousness though, You'll have to pull the whole dash out, even the cowling do get proper access to the loom and do a proper job of routing everything. There are two plugs to remove the loom from the main loom and it should be plug and play...

pm me your email addy and I'll email you the loom diagrams out of the factory manual for both.

mattw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VK Calais
Yeah thanks. It isn't a great bil deal being an ex cop dash but it looks better than the standard VK dash plus I'm tired of the digital one. My didgital one works 100% but I'm over it. I just think the ex cop one I have will look so much better in the car.

Good if it's two plugs. Shouldn't have a problem locating the loom. Do you prefer the digital dash over the analog?

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
yeah I prefer the digital dash. I dont like mods for the sake of it, there has to be some genuine improvement.

find a VK down the wreckers first and pull the mechanical loom and speedo from that, at least then you'll have had a "practice run" for when you go to route everything in your car..

I'm not sure if the power aerial will function through the soft touch pads on the dash with the mechanical loom though, you'll have to trace the wires on that one.

Personally I'm not a fan of the square dials on the mechanical dash. IMO the VH had the best looking and most functional dash with speedo and tach with all the warning lights up the middle.

good luck with it.

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
mattw, If you ever want to get rid of the cop dash let me know, the one in my car is shagged.

mattw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VK Calais
mattw, If you ever want to get rid of the cop dash let me know, the one in my car is shagged.

Shagged how? I was just thinking the last few days whether or not the ordinary VK dash is the same as the ex cop ones but just with different looks. I pulled apart my mates VP dash the other day and I'm going to replace the odometer part assembly with one out of another dash. I'm just wondering whether I could just pickup a few VK dash parts and if mine stuff up then I can just replace the internals.

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Shagged how? I was just thinking the last few days whether or not the ordinary VK dash is the same as the ex cop ones but just with different looks. I pulled apart my mates VP dash the other day and I'm going to replace the odometer part assembly with one out of another dash. I'm just wondering whether I could just pickup a few VK dash parts and if mine stuff up then I can just replace the internals.

I had my car stolen and the dash was smashed up, I am after the incremental speedo. The rest of the cluster is standard.