Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK calais efi engine probs

K

kel_VK_Calais

I think you'll find that these engines are prone to problems.. you either get a really good one that runs great, or like most people I've spoken to you get one that runs terribly. They're old tractor engines.. what can we expect.. sure, back in the day I'm sure they were pretty good. But I've learnt not to expect to much from these engines at thier age. I'm personally getting rid of mine and chucking in either a V6 or a 253. Let us know how you go.

rsol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK calais efi
Thanks for all your replies,it's a great help at least now i've got some things to look at. I suspect the hissing is to do with the brake booster as the noise is coming from around the top of the brake pedal. I'll let ya's know how i get on with it all.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
VK's DO use Vacuum to operate the heater/air con controls.I think they were the 1st models to use the system as was the XD Fords.The only cable under the dash is the cable running to the heater tap.The air flow controls are vac operated.My Calais had a hissing noise from the pass side front foot well.It turned out to be the vacuum hose that operates the bonnet cowl exterior air vent.

Last edited:

rsol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK calais efi
so far so good, adjusted the air flow meter and it's running heaps better,the plugs have gone from black to a nice tan colour and no more black smoke. Thnx for all your help,especially sammy,ya hit the nail on the head i think.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Not sure if you've fixed the hissing sound yet, but here's another possibity. It could be the hose come off the back of the vacuum gauge in ur dash. The one in my VH did that. My bro has an EFI VK which has the vacuum gauge, so that could be another possibility.

VK1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk berlina
yep won't start on gas or petrol guy coming to look at it tomorrow! think its the fuel press regulator as it want start on gas anymore help!!!

VK1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk berlina
yeah the spark plugs where about 6months old when we put the new 1's in it started on petrol then 2 injectors r blocked & stuffed & its burning to much fuel & making a funny noise & blowing the black smoke now i finally know wat it is hoo rahh runnin on gas now the guy thought the converter was stuffed but it had the safety activated on it & would'nt start on gas cause no spark from the plugs
will service her myself every 3months from now on! lols out there will be doin a full service next pay day the fuel filter ok thou not even 6months yet as i don't hav ramps just a trolley jack! oil, spark plugs, oil filter,injectors, check battery water levels, degrease big time...needs it

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
i have the same problem, hissing sound from engine bay, no power assist brakes, but the weird thing is, since i got my timing gear replaced, my cars been EXTREMELY sluggish before 2400 RPM, or about 40kmph, then it picks up really quickly and has power again.. before i did my timing gear, it was a little sluggish but still reasonably quick.. now its just ridiculous

VK1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk berlina
no mate if u hav a hissing sound check the above postSammy's Avatar

Ride: VZ S Ute
Sammy Executive
yeah i agree, if the brake pedal is hard that usually indicates the diaphram in the brake booster has a split in it, and its probably the hissing noise you can hear too.

i'd be fixing that first, once you have if you still have issues with the idle and black smoke each, remove the little black cap off the top of the air flow meter, under it you will find a wheel with teeth on it, this is what you need to adjust if its too rich turn the wheel clockwise a few notches at a time and see if that makes any difference .... be sure to mark on the wheel (liquid paper or something) where the wheel was originally so if this isn't the problem you can revert it back.

also have a look at the plugs, if they are black thats a good sign its rich, you want to adjust the air flow meter till the plugs are a nice tan colour ....

just so you know, turning the air flow meter wheel anti-clockwise will make the engine richer.

then you have a little allen key bolt on the top right of the air flow meter it may be covered with a plastic cap (red or green) so remove that and this will allow you to fine tune the mixture .... but note this is only the idle mixture, get the main mixture right from the plugs and from driving it before you worry too much about the idle mixture.

VK1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk berlina
still playin up would'nt sart again when its cold needs be started on petrol run about 5mins when switched onto gas it wil start think the gas cvonverter on its last legs either that or air pressure like the air fflow meter.
2 injectors need fixing blowing the black smoke tryed adjusting mixture still run rough on petrol & the plugs r goin black as that is why i think