Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Calais Id numbers

HDT Sportwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HDT Sportwagon VH SS Group 3 Retro
Hi All
This is my first posting , I have just purchased a VK Calais Sedan and have struck a strange number in the VIN that I cannot work out. t is the engine code which is an A and i have no information as what it relates to.
The car is a 333 on the model and has a V8 in it but i am not sure if it is a 304 or 308 the plates tell me it should be a 304 but it says 5.0 on the aircleaner and the boot. The number ar as follows

Model VK8VX19-333
LV2 M40 G70
Vin 8X19 A E L1 69*** K
Body 168542-A
Trim 3036-74V

If anyone can help to confirm my Id it would be appreciated.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Its model number not VIN

Anyway its a 304, LV2 denotes that. All Holden V8 cars had 5.0litre, only HDT had 4.9.

HDT Sportwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that but why in the number that was found on the front support near the radiator does the number 8X19 A E L1 69*** K is the 5th one an A in the manual it should be a T for 5 litre and the other codes avaliable are N D L K . It has me confused.

HDT Sportwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have checked in the handbook this morning and it does list this number as a VIN, the model number is the first one listed and found near the battery. I found similar information about the codes on the VK berlina rebuild being done by one of the members also but no information on the A engine code. Help

Zac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais V8
My VK has an LV2 (4.9 litre) engine too, and has the 'A' engine code in the VIN. The 'A' is the code for these engines - the manual was written before the 1985 update to 4.9 litre. I figure there is also different codes for the V5H, A9L and V7X performance engine options, but I don't know what they are.

HDT Sportwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
No worries thanks for clearing that up it makes sense Cheers