Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk camber angle wrong need help please

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i recently rebuilt my vk front end with new castor rod bushes,tie rod ends,balljoints,strut inserts etc and pretty much went over the whole front end but since putting it together my camber angle is way off visually and wearing out the inside edges of my tyres fast, the top plates have the white caps close to the inside of the engine bay would rotating my top plates 180 degrees affect the camber angle or is there something else i have to adjust to have the wheels straight up and down and not wear the edges any help would be great ,thanks

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the only way to adjust camber is to turn the top strut plates. Unfortunately the factory strut plates only offer 3 different positions, so it's a tradeoff between camber & castor.
I assume you didn't fit adjustable strut tops like K-macs ? Almost mandatory when you lower a Commodore.
If the wheels are leaning too far in at the top, then you need to turn the plates around so that the centre of the plate sits more toward the outside of the car. And vice-versa.

But honestly, spend $30 and get a proper wheel alignment.
Even better fit some adjustable strut tops and get a wheel alignment

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
yeah adjustable strut tops are nearly mandatory to get front end alignment all good.

i'm running a set of adjustable strut tops in my vb and its definitely th way to go.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
yeah i took the kmacs off when i redid my front end because i wouldnt have had a clue how to reset them, now i can only find the dress rings and not the main parts i think they got knocked off from my mates garage as we ripped it apart looking for them twice so looks like im stuck with stock strut tops thanks for the replies i thought it would be a case turning the top plate but just wanted to confirm it before doing it.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
all early girls upto vn are normally setup for max caster but when lowered it does make them pretty cambery to get the best of both worlds and not loose caster but straighten camber swap the left strut top plate for the right plate then you will get max caster and more up and down camber :D

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
thanks delcowizzid , i forgot to mention i raised it to stock height when i did the work because it had king ultralows with an extra coil cut off them, wanted my car legal.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
stock hieght just set them full caster

Whiteline

Reaction score
Members Ride
r8 ve ute
Hi Guys,

Hope you do not mind us popping in but we seen you have a camber issue and thought we might let you know we do camber slide plate adjustable tops for all models of Commodore up to VS.

The part number needed for the VB is KCA356 and is Available at any leading Auto parts store in Australia or from our website Whiteline - Performance Suspension Products for Maximum Grip, Handling & Performance. Whiteline Adjustable Whiteline Sway Bars Adjustable Anti Roll Bars Anti-Roll Bars Stabiliser Bars Stabilizer Bars Anti Sway Bars Anti-Sway Bars Camber Kits Caster K.

Also our sister company Nolathane has them as well and the part number is 44000 up to VL model and then 44016 for the VN/VP and this can also be used in the earlier models it was just that the VN/VP all came with power steer so the 44016 was able to have more castor as castor can make the steering more heavy they did not do it for the earlier versions as some had manual rack and pinion.These again are all available from any leading Local Auto parts stores.

Here is the link to view the whiteline version (price is full retail maybe cheaper through others) Whiteline KCA356 Front Camber/caster correction - strut mount adj

Nolathane versions here