Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Carby diagrams??

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
Hi,
newish to site and just picked up an old VK with a 202 black carby engine.

Old owner has tinkered around and there are a few hoses etc off the inlet manifold but it runs well once warm. (are the vacum lines important to cold starts?)

The carby is a pain as it runs rough when started and then better (with higher idle revs) when warm.

The choke seems to make no diff as it is converted to manual and no help open/closed. So my questions are;

is there a cold idle screw? seperate to main idle screw?
has anyone got a diagram of the varajet carby? and all attachements, and ideas on tuning or should I get it replaced with a holley or something?

thanks
jas

Attachments

• VK.jpg
    VK.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,568

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
love the body on that thing :)

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
thanks,
it got the 134? kit I was told.
Looks like a brock car, but only a 6.
Interior is OK too but after a heap of little trim parts in blue if anyone got any in Brissie?
need blue frotn and rear seats, blue carpet, blue window handle, rear roof lights, fuse box (engine) etc

but otherwise she is a good runner and a looker with only minimal surface rust to sort out.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Ill start by saying that the standard varejet carb is a pretty hard carbie to tune, there is no seperate cold idle bypass screw. you should check operation of the choke to make sure it is actually working and pulling the little idle bump screw lever up to raise cold idle speed like the standard one does. also to make sure the solenoid and all that kind of crap is connected and is getting power when the ignition is switched on.
With your vacuum lines check VKBerlina's site as it has a lot of handy info ( helped me when i took my carb off cause i couldnt remember where a few lines ran too).
If its running fine when its hot there shouldn't be too much wrong with it but you might be better off getting a webber carb from a dreaded falcon.
Also being a 6 carb VK, if its standard you've got EST which is Electonically contolled timing, (electronic spark timing), and your gonna have fun with that i can assure you :D

VK Berlina Project

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
cool, thanks for that,
half of the ones in diagram are missing or broken in my car, so will replace them all and see how they go.

thanks

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
gove the carbie a rebuild and connect the hoses per the diagrams on my site.

cheers
Scott

thanks,
I think the carby has bits missing somewhere as previous owners have hooked up some sort of manual choke system that does not work.

I have looked at diagrams and my auto/carby 202 black is missing some items in the diagrams. (see pic) seems to be missing; exhaust heat valve actuator and air pump divertor valve.

would any of these missing explain the rough idel at start up?

once the car is running for a few minutes it runs sweet, but starts like crap!

j

Attachments

• engine.JPG
    engine.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 4,544

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ok the air pump system is only there to pass emissions regs basically holden couldnt get the 202 past emissions so they dilutted the exhaust gasses to make it pass.

The EGR system should be connected as it will help combustion to a certain degree.

What dizzy is in the car??

I would rebuild the carbie and connect up the vac lines per the digrams on my site without the exhaust gass ones, install an electronic dizzy have the vac source for the dizzy switch via a vac source that activates once the car is warmed up.

cheers
Scott

cheers
Scott

codfishface

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK SL - 79 VB 253
Looks like you have extractors fitted which means the inlet manifold won't be getting heated by the exhaust gasses as per the original design. It will always run like a biatch till it warms up....like mine and many others.

Not to say that the carb couldn't do with an overhaul. I'm running a reco'd Varajet with all vac plumbing under control and mine starts and idles fine, but hates anything over 1/4 throttle till at operating temp.

In your pic, just above the blue cable tie on the top rad hose, there is what looks like a hole in the head. Is that a grub screw? I hope so, as that was where one of the air pump lines used to attach.

Can you take some more pics with the air cleaner off?

Cheers.

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
Ok the air pump system is only there to pass emissions regs basically holden couldnt get the 202 past emissions so they dilutted the exhaust gasses to make it pass.

The EGR system should be connected as it will help combustion to a certain degree.

What dizzy is in the car??

I would rebuild the carbie and connect up the vac lines per the digrams on my site without the exhaust gass ones, install an electronic dizzy have the vac source for the dizzy switch via a vac source that activates once the car is warmed up.

cheers
Scott

cheers
Scott

done the vacumm lines as you suggest.
here is a pic of dizzy.
I just hooked up the vacumm line as it was not connected. It is now connected to vacumm off tree on manifold.
thanks for help by the way

jas

Attachments

• dizzy.JPG
    dizzy.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 2,376
Last edited: