Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Carby!

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
Hey all,

iv got a vk executive carby, i think i asked about this in previous threads but could not make any sense of it all lol

i wanna change my carby, puttin a new bigger round one on top, instead of having that old trumpet style one.

i bought another big round one for it, but it did not have the correct base that was needed to fit the carby. any ideas where i can get one from that will fit?

ALSO, on the trumpet pipe, thiers a little flap inside it, does it do anyhting, like move? and if i get a new bigger air filter, will i have to move this?

any information will be handy

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
I think you are on about the Air Cleaner.The Flap inside the Snorkel is only a warm air heater 4 cold starts & probly unserviceable with age, rust & Lead deposists.My op, ditch it..

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Firstly is it a 202?

Also what do you mean by "bigger round one"?

If its a 202 just look for a new manifold on ebay, cheap as.

Edit: Ah ok you mean air cleaner, i think 308vk is right. ditch it.

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
yeah, the big round thing with the filter inside,

i want a new one, but carnt find any to replace the tumpet one, the bases dont match.....

any ideas?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
You're talking about the air cleaner. Sounds like you might have bought one for a 4 barrel carb instead of a 2 barrel varajet. What you need to do is take it back to where you bought it and tell them you want one to suit a VK Commo 202 6 cylinder.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
The flap on the 'trumpet' air cleaner is to do with cold starts like 308vk said. Around that flap would be a pipe underneath which is connected to your 'heat stove' on your exhaust manifold. The air cleaner would have a diaphragm on it with a pipe coming off it that goes to your carburettor. When the device heats up, the butterly valve (flap) opens up and lets air through. You don't need it. It was a 1984 way of making the barge run efficient.

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
ok, 2 barrel varajet......

im not sure if they stock them, but i will have to ask anyways, as the old filter is very dirty, and i need a new one.

i thought, instead of a new filter itself, a whole new filter housing is the way to go also lol...

the top of the carby, is square, and they one i bought had a round base so they did not go together lol, simple physics hey..

will have a look at supercheap tomory, as repco already told me they did not stock them :(

where u recon would be the best place to get one?

i am going to armidale next week, if that has some shops that may supply them?

also gettin some new fusion gear lol

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Yep, the one you got is a 4 barrel type not a 2 barrel type.

Go into Autobarn and if they don't have one, tell them you want to order one in. Supercheap are useless for service. Repco are going to disappear soon.

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
what? lol

im confused again?

i go in and ask for a 2 barrel or a 4 barrell?

and yeah, i dont have an autobarn anywhere near where i live lol but i will ask around over at armidale and hopefully someone will know a place?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Watch out for autobah mate they can be noobs, tools sold me a red rotor key 202, for my blue 202, ididnt realise till i got home as it was in the plastic bag and i trusted that they had it right. :(

Want an air filter go to supercheap mate, find one of those books hanging next to them and you'll find it..

As for the 2nd filter in the aircleaner that connects to the pvc pipe, those are very rare to find. I've only een 2 new on ebay which i missed out on.