Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK cd player installation

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Hey all,

I have a VK and its only got the stock radio in it at the moment. I have bought a JVC cd player for it, but it hasn't been put in yet. I don't want to pay for someone to install because I have heard it will cost alot relative to installing into other cars. I was wondering if anyone is planning on putting a cd player into their VK any time soon, and if they are, would they be able to document it, with photos and stuff, and then post it on here. I don't expect anyone to go out of their way to just put together a how-to, but I was hoping if someone is about to put one into their VK, it wouldn't be too much more trouble taking pics and then giving short explanations. I know there is a how-to already on here on how to install a cd player into a vk, but there aren't any pics, and I would find it far easier if I had some pics to reference against.

Cheers

Jimboss

Reaction score
You shouldn't really need vehicle specific photo's. So long as you have the wiring diagrams (both for the existing wiring and the new H/U). I believe the VK has a dedicated Acc wire, so you shouldn't have to run any wires from the battery (which is what i had to do).

As for putting the unit in, just pull the old one out (try to give yourself enough extra on the wiring to make it easier putting the new one in), then slot the new one in, solder up the wires, and then test it all out, hopefully it'll work first go.

And a piece of advice, you can't go too overboard with getting the unit to stick in place, as the older commy's are theif magnets, but if you do a decent job, most people won't try to flog it.

Everyone on here is extremely helpful, so any questions when you're doing it, just ask, someone will be able to help.

Mr Robbo - The General

Defect Notice Attractor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Statesman 5L
yep, listen i installed 2 different units since i got my vk mate, its fairly simple stuff. As per wiring, test the wires usuing a multimeter. 1 wire will have 12 volts ALL THE TIME, and another wire will only have 12 Volts when the ignition is on. (the one all the time is for memory of radio stations etc) one of the wires will be an earth. The rest of teh wires are then speaker wires apart from ONE - which from memory is for your electric antena depending on whether or not u have 1, its RED if you do have it. You'll prolly find on your new CD player that it has 4 groups of speaker wires for front left/right, and rear left/right. The vk system only ever has 2 groups of speaker wires. This ISNT a problem. All it means is that 1 group or speaker wires are for your ENTIRE left side, and the other group are for your ENTIRE right side. I just wired mine as follows>

ON THE NEW CD PLAYER WIRES: wire the front left wires to the group of wires that makes the left speakers work in the vk (u can find this by having a cd player in the unit and testing which group is which side)
THEN - wire the front right wires onto the right side group in the vk.
LEAVE the REAR left and right group disconected from any wires OR connect them to the front left/right wires on the vk (along with the front wires).

The only thing then left to do is install the unit into the holder. There is a bracket that came with the cd player, this just sits it the slot where the cd player go's and as many little tabs that are all over it that u can; fold them out towards the outside, and this is desigened to hold in the slot fairly firm. The unit then slides into this and locks itself into place. Remembering to first push in the coaxial connection which is for the radio antena.
You may have a hole above or below the unit as it may be smaller than the stock radio unit. how you fill this is up to you, I found using a black plastic video tape case, cutting it out and gluing it in posision was my best option.

THIS ALL SOUNDS VERY COMPLICATED: but it really isnt, its a matter of trial and error with the speaker wires, and you shouldnt blow any fuses so long as you dont cross any of the power wires. I suggest you give it a go before paying som1 to do it.
ITS NOT AS HARD AS IT SOUNDS
there is possably a wiring diagram for it on this site http://members.westnet.com.au/scottl/
ALSO - the wires that are on your new cd player unit are in the instruction booklet that came with it. this will tell you what each colour is for. common sense is all thats required, a 5 year old could do it with a little practice, give it a go! good luck mate.

Jimboss

Reaction score
Yeah, it was very daunting for me when i did it myself, it was only about 3 weeks after i got my car so i was obsessing about not stuffing it up, in 6 months time you will be glad you did it, it's great to learn more about the everyday stuff of your own car, makes it easier down the track aswell, i have since replaced all the speakers, put in central locking ... it all started at the CD player.

Mr Robbo - The General

Defect Notice Attractor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Statesman 5L
yes exactly right, same with me, i find wiring isnt really hard in car until u get 1 thats got a knick in it and is earthing out under your kick or in your roof lining LOL - THATS when u get the shits lol. My courtesy light desided to do this as i remember lol.

Jimboss

Reaction score
lol, i can't say that's ever happened to me, yet, oh crap, i just jinxed myself ... ****

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i think you'll find the main problem is getting the new head unit to fit into the slot as original and older style are a lttle smaller in width. What you can do is cut the plastic bit out next to the heater/air con controls(quick but not recommended) What i did file/sand it wide enough so i got a tight fit. Other than it pretty simple wiring is as above and easy if you have some brains. I recommend you upgrade your speakers as well as the old ones won't last with the power the new unit puts out. If you want help with speakers just post in here again and we'll all help you out.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Having a manual with the player is easy, just follow the colour code.. May take you an hour or so depending on what connections for testing or what not... but its not that hard.. :)

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
The VK loom is a little screwy for wire colour I discovered. When I installed my head unit (kenwood) I pulled the VK box out and wired straight into the dash loom. It was much easier to figure out the battery (memory) etc.

Dont do a twist and tape job. You can get proper crimp connectors from auto shops and they aren't expensive. With a little spagetti conduit to cover up wires, it will look good too. (get a crimping tool - $10 from hardware shop)

As for speakers, I have found "genisis" brand to put out good sound and they have polymer cones so they should last.

I already had the 6" sony's for the front doors, but the 6x9's; 150w in my parcel shelf are genisis and they only cost $70 for the pair.

if you need anymore advice there are plenty here that have done it and are happy to help out.

Good luck
Kain