Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK cd player installation

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I never knew there were so many cuz I never got an email notification, oh well. Yeh doing the wiring and stuff I don't think I will have a problem with, it can't be that hard, the only thing is I have heard and read that it is hard to get the ole one out due to te fact the whole dash needs to come out, and you need to be carefull so as to not knock something to do with the heater causing it to not work. I reckon my dad and I are gonna have a crack at putting it in tonight, so hopefully all goes well.

Cheers for the advice.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
The whole dash needs to come out? Your old one still the original ?

If you have trouble taking the old player out try and wiggle it but iwith a tight grip, if she doesnt want to come out :p
Hoping theres still not screws attached ...

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Goon, are you saying that I don't need to takeout my whole dash to be able to remove the stock radio, I can just grip it tightly and pull? Remembering I have a VK Berlina.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
URGENT HELP NEEDED

I have started to take out my dash, everything is out fine, however the heater/air con. controls are giving me sum grief. I have a diargram that says to turn the temperature control all the way down, and then it saws to 'snap in' some wire type thing which is connected to the temperature control. I have no idea how to do that. Please someone reply really soon with an answer.

Thanks

K

kel_VK_Calais

I didnt even attempt to do it myself... have heard too many horror stories about dashes disintergrating in the old commies. I payed SHITELOADS for the install, and the guy who did it told me not to ever take my car back to him again, he would refuse to work on it, lol. It took them about 6 hours all up to do the whole job... good luck with it all :)

Jimboss

Reaction score
Well, if your dash disintegrates when you try to take it out, i'd say there are probably alot of other, worse things wrong with your car, unless the VK's are hugely different to the VH's (which i doubt), the dash removal is really easy, i can take mine out in about 20 mins, as i said, a couple of hours is all it should take.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I got a diagram that might help Thanks to vkberlina

Last edited:

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Update on my situation.

I finally got my radio out, didn't need to take out the air con. controls. It took a fair bit of pulling and sum prying with a screwdriver but it came out, only to find that I don't have a yellow wire. So I have just rang autobarn, and I am going to get them to finish the job off. It's gonna cost $88, which isn't too bad I don't think. I would have just got them to wire it up (which would have cost $40) but they said something about having to cut some of the panel to fit the player in, which I had no idea on where to cut, so I just figured I would get them to finish the job.

Thanks for the help you guys have given me.

P.S. Pub 24/7 - thats the diagram I was working from :p thanks anyway.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Was it a red wire mate? mine was yellow but the wire going to the battery was red. Anyway goodluck with them, atleast you know its getting done.. maybe you could still get it done yourself and save heaps..

The more you ask questons mate the more you'll save. :thumbsup:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
the bit they cut is a bit of black plastic next to the air con controls most people cut that out but you can file it wider. i hope they do a better job then when they put one into my mazda 929.