Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk commodore Rochester quadrajet seems to be flooding

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Everyone is just pissing in the wind without knowing the fuel pressure.
I'm a mechanic by trade.
If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge take your car to a workshop get it tested.
Bob dylan aint a mechanic and his answer is blowing in the wind :D
Well the factory pump in tank is 30-40kpa

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Bob dylan aint a mechanic and his answer is blowing in the wind :D
Well the factory pump in tank is 30-40kpa

OMG you're a fool. A book spec is not actual pressure. He said he has a high flow mechanical pump this may be boosting pressure to 8psi or higher but without actually checking you're just making an ass of me and you.

Andrew Ivanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vk Commodore
Hi all, the sender is from a 6cy vk so it does have have an electric fuel pump just the higher output mechanical pump now and only one fuel line coming out from the sender itself as it’s been changed at some point in its life. I’ll test fuel pressure first and see what it’s at. I have a feeling it may be doing more than 6-7psi as it claims. Thanks

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hi all, the sender is from a 6cy vk so it does have have an electric fuel pump just the higher output mechanical pump now and only one fuel line coming out from the sender itself as it’s been changed at some point in its life. I’ll test fuel pressure first and see what it’s at. I have a feeling it may be doing more than 6-7psi as it claims. Thanks
What are you going to check with? At work we have a gauge that simultaneously checks flow and pressure but flow should be good seeing as it actually drives on the street. But just be mindful that static pressure at idle may not be the same under load.

Andrew Ivanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vk Commodore
Hi I’ll test it under some load I spoke to my bro and he will lend me a fuel pressure gauge. Hopefully it’s just as simple as fuel pressure

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Ok so someone fiddled with the fuel sender, your original vk v8 fuel sender with 2 outlets is very hard to source if you wanted to put back te original for the fuel return line.
However if you can't find one then there is the easier option of finding a complete VK v6 EFI fuel tank that has the inner swirl pot for the electric intank pump and fuel return line but this line is on the tank seperate away from the sender unit which only has the sender fuel line to manual pump/carby.
If you sort the pressure issue you wont need to change your tank/sender unit to add return line

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Ok so someone fiddled with the fuel sender, your original vk v8 fuel sender with 2 outlets is very hard to source if you wanted to put back te original for the fuel return line.
However if you can't find one then there is the easier option of finding a complete VK v6 EFI fuel tank that has the inner swirl pot for the electric intank pump and fuel return line but this line is on the tank seperate away from the sender unit which only has the sender fuel line to manual pump/carby.
If you sort the pressure issue you wont need to change your tank/sender unit to add return line

Dude he just needs to stop the carb flooding he doesn't need to do any of that.

It's simple if the fuel pressure is too high he just needs to fit a reg.

Andrew Ivanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vk Commodore
I took it for a spin yesterday again just to test it out and it seems to be running ok when it’s warmed up. I can floor it in second and it doesn’t bog and can do the same in first. It does smell like fuel a lot more than usual in the cabin especially when I floor it. After driving it’s definitely got some fuel coming out from the pump and looks to also have some fuel near the choke pull off at the top. To me it looks like it’s flooding. I will check fuel pressure hopefully this weekend and if that’s ok I think it could be either needle or seat or possibly something to do with the float. If it was a float issue would it do it always even at idle ? Only seems to happen after I go for a drive a floor it a few times.

Andrew Ivanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vk Commodore
Earlier model commodores had the same setup and ran ok without any regulators or electric pumps as mine is pretty standard. The fuel pump is a higher volume output but I would have thought the pressure would be the same as they are 2 different things. Anyways will test it this week and get back to everyone again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction I know what to look for. Also any way of testing needle and seat . Ie filling up fuel bowl or something ?

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Dude he just needs to stop the carb flooding he doesn't need to do any of that.

It's simple if the fuel pressure is too high he just needs to fit a reg.
Dude ;) Im not telling hime what to do. I am showing him the options available if he needs to change something.
He asked about a return line in his first post, (read it.) and mentioned he had no return line on the tank or the carby.
So if he decides to change his higher output manual pump and waits to reinstall return line, welll he has the info to make the choice :)