Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk commodores how many would be still out their

Anson reid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore sedan
Please to meet you dayvo I like reading what you said that would of been a art in its self using lead for a filler, it's great to meet someone who has worked in the holden factory where they were build would of been good to see that's for sure

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Those good old days when everyone in the city is braking in traffic and your smelling those hot asbestos brakes wafting through your window on a hot summers day while waiting for the lights to change. Got to love those days when no one gave a darn, news paper and bog in the rusted out quarter panels some holes covered with band-aids or masking tape, the good old rusted out roofs with vinyl covering the roof which caused them to rust in the first place. Now all you see is dinted up panels with clear coat peal.

Oh forgot to mention the good old leaded petrol Smokey exhaust with no antipollution gear nothing like choking on a old smelly exhaust.

Last edited:

Anson reid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore sedan
Yes I remember them days we did have so much fun smell of fuel in the air and the noise of the motors was great racing around the back streets lolm , these days alote has changed which sucks

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Please to meet you dayvo I like reading what you said that would of been a art in its self using lead for a filler, it's great to meet someone who has worked in the holden factory where they were build would of been good to see that's for sure
Hey Anson,
Lead wiping was certainly an art , too much heat and it all ends up in a heap on the ground . With all the oh&s regs these days lead in any form is a no no . Back then if you worked with lead you were given a litre of milk a day, this was supposed to flush any lead that was inadvertently inhaled . I was taught how to "pop" dents out of a panel using an oxy torch and banana file.( i still have that file in my toolbox 35 years later ) . Some of the old school metal finishers that had been there since the early days could almost knock a dent out blindfolded. The production line pumped out over 200 cars a day and their were 3 dent knockers per side so each of us worked on every third car knocking out the low spots or filing down the high spots . The cars were wiped over with a water soluble oil , as they went down the production line they passed rows of fluro lights which highlighted the panel damage . Dents were marked with a circle and high spots with an X. And car body that couldn't be fixed on the line before going into the paint shop was fixed off line and a car that had previously been repaired off line took its place .

Anson reid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore sedan
Hey Anson,
Lead wiping was certainly an art , too much heat and it all ends up in a heap on the ground . With all the oh&s regs these days lead in any form is a no no . Back then if you worked with lead you were given a litre of milk a day, this was supposed to flush any lead that was inadvertently inhaled . I was taught how to "pop" dents out of a panel using an oxy torch and banana file.( i still have that file in my toolbox 35 years later ) . Some of the old school metal finishers that had been there since the early days could almost knock a dent out blindfolded. The production line pumped out over 200 cars a day and their were 3 dent knockers per side so each of us worked on every third car knocking out the low spots or filing down the high spots . The cars were wiped over with a water soluble oil , as they went down the production line they passed rows of fluro lights which highlighted the panel damage . Dents were marked with a circle and high spots with an X. And car body that couldn't be fixed on the line before going into the paint shop was fixed off line and a car that had previously been repaired off line took its place .
Thanks for sharing that information would of been great to see that back in the day happening on the production line , I'm doing a project on a vk commodore I'm taking my time using a paint scraper to take paint of around the bottom of windscreen left-hand side I can see a fine layer of lead been swiped over metal was perfect on the finish , wish I knew how to lead swipe a car how you did it dayvo be ten times better than body filler