Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK daily

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
hey guys i recently picked up a vk for 1800 bux to turn into a nice daily.
was a 308 with what seems to be a 284 cam and minor head work, with a TH350 behind it that has a stage 2 shift kit

But it turns out that the car was just a giant bucket of rust held together by a few screws,
in finding this out decided to start looking for another cheap body stumbled upon this for 300
its a 333 pack calais from 1984 still original paint.

IMGP0098.jpg

As everybody knows buying a shell for 300 dollars, There is bound to be a few snags
so i took a few pics to show every1.

Rust in the sill
IMGP0105.jpg

Wire wheeled the boot for a spray of paint and small patch up job
IMGP0100.jpg

A pillar rust
IMGP0099.jpg

....also came with a sunroof that was installed in dealership as my dads told me they don't have any rust prevention at all and pretty much if you're cars got a sunroof from the dealership its bound to be rusty as you can see, later on i will be replacing the entire roof I'm hoping the pits don't care too much about the roof ill clean it up a bit with some bog and some touch up spray.
IMGP0103.jpg

IMGP0102.jpg

IMGP0101.jpg

The rest of the car is perfectly straight besides a ding in the sil on one side, but all in all i think its a bargain for 300.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
I've been swapping over the lsd diff out of my donor vk and also investigating some of the rust on the new one
had a look at the A pillar i don't think its too bad, needs a bit of a clean up as you can see.

IMGP0107.jpg

Also had a look at the damage dealt by the tow bar that was on the car, going to replace this with a new piece of metal.

IMGP0109.jpg

and i found this white stuff, seems to be some sort of glue which held on the Calais garnish over the top of the lights, anybody have any good ideas to get it off without damaging paint ?

IMGP0108.jpg

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Is this the first car u got which was full of rust or the new one u got?

I wouldn't even bother with this body aye, would work out way easier just finding a decent body I rekon.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
nah mate this is the new body, the old one was much worse the entire boot floor needed replacing and the rust had come through the bottom of the wheel arches and into the car, also had a front and back end prang at some time so all the body was bent.

this one wont take much work just welding a new plate into the sill and the rear end, the a pillar will just need a clean up with a sander and some rust converter and the roof of the other one will be put onto the new one eventually but its not too high on my priority list atm.

its not that much work it looks like a lot but as im unemployed atm i have all the time in the world to do it. it only costed me 300 bux and has a reco'd steering rack so im pretty happy with that.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Rust in the a pillar has been cleaned up didnt even go all the way through, gave it some treatment and bogged it to make it smooth.

sunroof has has the same treatment also only 2 holes went all the way through much better than i was expecting.

just waiting on paint to be mixed up for a touch up kit, should have it on tuesday along with my new steering wheel. also might be picking up a w58 supra gearbox to put in it instead of the t700 so ill be putting that up for sale which is a shame because its a very tidy box but id rather the manual.

ill put some pics of the repairs up after i give it a coat of paint.

ChoCo94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pac L67
i picked a vk the other weekend it has a abused 6cyl just missing the dizzy coil and leads and some of the belts for 350 and it has a tiny lil bit in each rear wheel arch and a tiny bit in the bottom of the passengers door

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Yeah mate, they're not too hard to find, surprisingly i don't see that many nice vk's on the road these days though
i put a few layers of paint over the primer today will take some pics 2moro if its not raining.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Thats better?
Holy crap.

How far did you take the paint back??

If its that bad on the surface its going to be horrid under it...

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
took it down to bare metal, gave it some rust treatment
tbh it wasn't that bad there was about 3 pin prick holes around the sunroof
and no holes in the a pillar it was salvageable...i was expecting a lot worse

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah I would have been too.

Rear beaver panel looks fubar, hows the floor pan and chassis?