Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk Dash Led Lights

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Hey Everyone

Was thinking of pulling out my dash and rewiring it up with led lights. Im just wondering if its worth doing and what wattage and voltage led I would need to get. I did this upgrade way back in like 2003 on a few vk commodore im not 100 per cent certain ifI used led ( not sure if they were available then bu I remeber wiring in extra lights everywhere. I think i even removed the crap green caps also and wired in a much tinier bulb. Many years ago just wondering what people have done and what colours go good. I wouldnt mind keeping the stock green but if some other colour look better maybe I would go that direction. Any tips anyone.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
I did mine in blue & after a week went back to white, readily available off eBay. I changed the festoons in the boot, glovebox & cabin at tha same time. For $53 there’s a seller on eBay that does a complete kit for a VK with a couple of spares. He provides the odd ones for the cig lighter & ac as well. [holden-parts-aus]

Last edited:

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
LEDs are the way to go, they must be 50% brighter at least!

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
You don't want them too bright, too distracting at night, especially in the country...

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I just bought some off ebay really only want to do my instrument cluster. 12 globes for $8.99 t10 6000K so should be nice and bright white. Hoping itll look good will the dimmer still work with the leds in? Im assuming it will as more than likely it would just drop voltage wouldnt it? Also are the factory bulbs 5 watts?

Last edited:

VDO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB VC VH VK VL
Don't change the globe for the charge light.
You need the incandescent bulb left in to complete the exciter circuit for the alternator to charge.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Don't change the globe for the charge light.
You need the incandescent bulb left in to complete the exciter circuit for the alternator to charge.
Do you mean the battery light on the lower dash? I will be leaving this as standard just want better lighting for the instrument cluster only

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Also any tips on pulling the dash last one I did about 15 years ago. I know you go in via the centre speaker which is already missing. I need to disconnect the main loom which i think is a squeeze and pull plug. Need to disconnect the speedo which I think is also a clip type plug I think there is another smaller plug somewhere for the high beam battery park brake lights???? Also the demister anything there I need to dosconnect? Any step by step instructions floating around.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Ive already done it worked it out pretty simple. Wondering now is there an aftermarket replacement for the clear plastic over the guages mine is a bit scratched not bad for a vk but I still would like to replace it with a clear perfect version