Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK door lock question

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Hi, is anyone familiar with VH to early VK door lock mechanisms? My VK model has the push-pull lock knob on top of the door. You know how it is supposed to make a positive click up and down and stay there... well my problem is that mine doesn't do that anymore on driver door and is loose, nothing to hold it up or down, no positive action. I had a good look inside both front door latch and lock areas (passenger side is ok) to see if I could see what is broken or missing (eg a spring) but I can't see anything at all.

Would appreciate if anyone knows what I have to replace or fix , thanks.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Should look like this, I say a spring has sprung or snapped

4BUP-3534.jpg

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Should look like this, I say a spring has sprung or snapped

4BUP-3534.jpg
Hey mate, thanks heaps for the great pic. Yeah I suspected it might have been in that latch mechanism. I did start to remove it but it looked a bit difficult due to the anti-theft panels inside there. Will have another go. Thnks.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hey mate, thanks heaps for the great pic. Yeah I suspected it might have been in that latch mechanism. I did start to remove it but it looked a bit difficult due to the anti-theft panels inside there. Will have another go. Thnks.
Yeah they are a bit fiddley to remove, I think if you undo the bolts on the latch side first helps been awhile since I last replaced one on my brothers, I think they similar to the Holden's of the 70's, the spring on the top right are the ones that break if I remember correctly it rocks back a forwards and helps it click into place Holden it up. Like I said its been 20+ years since I did one.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah ta, I hope it's that bent looking spring in the shape of an "A", I just had another look. As that looks like it has disintegrated on mine. I assumed it was that extension spring that you first see and would be easily replaced but it's probably that one you are talking about. So I'll see how much door latches are from the net or from a wreckers or might put a wanted ad in Dumtree. Ta again.