Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK EFI 6 Economy

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
traindriver said:
And what makes your engine any better?

A point I would like to make - Street Machine got 175kw from an efi 202 with simple bolt on / change out stuff, and that was on a blue 202 refreshed to factory specs. :coolpimp:

I gues im a purist, not like those who drive Japanese powered commodores. :flame:

AndrewOfNZ

Thats actually a lot of power for not a lot of work. If done right they will take a lot of punishment. VL turbo's were only 150kw.
Kain

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
A well tunned EFI 202 can have high power as well as get 12k/l on freeway which equates to around 720K's from the tank.
This moter is producing 107.9rwkw which is around 140kw at fly wheel. allowing for power loss through gearbox etc.

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
gd81 said:
A well tunned EFI 202 can have high power as well as get 12k/l on freeway which equates to around 720K's from the tank.
This moter is producing 107.9rwkw which is around 140kw at fly wheel. allowing for power loss through gearbox etc.

Mate I would believe that. My EFI 202 has an air intake leak which is making it run a little rich and I'm still getting 10.
Kain

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
an air intake leak would make it run leaner than normal, that would make it get better economy :) sounds like if you fix the air leak then adjust the air flow meter you'll get better economy still and probably get some power back too :)

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sammy said:
an air intake leak would make it run leaner than normal, that would make it get better economy :) sounds like if you fix the air leak then adjust the air flow meter you'll get better economy still and probably get some power back too :)

I'm no mechanic but i understand what you are saying, though the mechanic that is building my V6 motor had a look at it and on a carby motor it would run leaner.

Being EFI, a leak in the air intake screws up the O2 sensor and with it's false reading, causes the computer to pump too much fuel through it.

On a cold start it wont hold a steady idle either. up-down-up-down, until you hold your foot on the throttle and give it about 1000rpm to steady the idle. It could be leaking exhaust aswell, as it is the same gasket as the intake manifold. It will be fixed soon so .....
Kain

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
SUSPECT said:
lol mate i aint jelous ive been there and had my cry :D then i saw the light and moved on

lol & silly me went from a VK carby gas 202 to a VL RB30 to a EFI 202 VK Calais....

D.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
yeah i agree with what your saying on the o2 exquiped V6, however the VK EFI doesn't have an o2 sensor, the way the vk efi works is you set the air flow meter which gives it a scale to work from, so then it measures the air and does a calculation, for x amount of air, put in y amount of fuel (which also takes into acount throttle position, coolant temp etc etc) so if you have an air leak your still getting the same air into the motor, but theres less air going through the air flow meter so its telling the computer to put less fuel in effectively leaning it out.

have you tried tightening the bolts on the side of the head that hold the inlet/exhaust manifolds onto the motor, alot of the time that has fixed air leaks i've had in these areas, if your unlucky enough the gasket has crapped itself and you'll need to replace it to fix the air leak!

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sammy said:
yeah i agree with what your saying on the o2 exquiped V6, however the VK EFI doesn't have an o2 sensor, the way the vk efi works is you set the air flow meter which gives it a scale to work from, so then it measures the air and does a calculation, for x amount of air, put in y amount of fuel (which also takes into acount throttle position, coolant temp etc etc) so if you have an air leak your still getting the same air into the motor, but theres less air going through the air flow meter so its telling the computer to put less fuel in effectively leaning it out.

have you tried tightening the bolts on the side of the head that hold the inlet/exhaust manifolds onto the motor, alot of the time that has fixed air leaks i've had in these areas, if your unlucky enough the gasket has crapped itself and you'll need to replace it to fix the air leak!

Yeah right makes sense, (I'm more into bodywork than mechanics) I'll give it a go. Thanx for the advise.
Kain

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
I tried the bolts and they are firm. I think that I'm up for a new gasket in the inlet/exhaust.
Kain