Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk efi wiring looms

L

lucky legs

Anyone know how much work, (days, weeks, years or decades) for a handy layman to replace on a vk, efi wiring loom/s with one/s from a wreck? Have intermittent no start and cutting out problem and had auto electrician and reputable garage check everything, and I mean everything, else out from top to bottom. So only things left are wiring, connectors or grounds. I've checked all connectors visually and all grounds thoroughly I could find.
PS decades are out of the question at this point in my life.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
You're looking at hours. If you need the dash taken off, then it will take a while. Look for nylon connectors which would have been installed by a dodgy backyard mechanic. My car had a few nylon connectors installed by bush mechanics and they failed of course! One was on the alternator, another connected to the ignition coil and another connected to the starter motor lead (solenoid).

Check them out. Look out for the nylon connectors that only have one wire going through it. Open it up and check if it's corroded/rusted etc. Replace the lead or cut, solder and heatshrink. I'd definately check around the engine bay for dodgy wiring.

When I got my car, I reckon I would have spent about 5 hours changing a heap of wiring inside and out (over several days).

L

lucky legs

replacing wiring looms

Thanks for that. I'll be rapt if it's only a couple of days!
I have been through engine bay myself but will keep an eye out for non-factory type connectors.
Peter