Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk Electronic Fuel Pump

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Hi all,
Looking to convert my 6 cylinder VK from the EFI to carby running a cam, big valves with roller rockers and was thinking of leaving the electronic fuel pump but was unsure if it would work properly or not as I have heard they are pretty touchy with the V8's so was unsure about the 6.
Just wondering has anybody tried or succeeded in putting an electronic fuel pump on a carby 6 cylinder VK?
Cheers

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Without the proper valve thing (for want of a better word) you will have problems with the carby flooding but you could use the EFI pump if you get the correct pressure valve but your pump may end up circulating the fuel around the car more than usual, ie from tank to valve than back to tank than back to valve and so on, also depend on how much juice shell be drinking with the new setup. I have a V8 vk with the electric pump and i cant say ive had any problems with it but others may have had a totally different experience.
I know you can run a electric fuel pump but the EFI one might be designed to create to much pressure than a carby one like the v8s have.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
carby pump 6-8 psi efi pump 200-300 psi . change the pump

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if you keep the EFI pump, you will need to run it through a low pressure regulator
probably easier just swapping it for a low pressure pump to suit a carb. Can pick them up fairly cheap

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you can get a few types of 15psi pumps to suit carb. i like the carter black, but holley red and blue are quite popular. then you will need a fuel pressure regulator to keep the pressure down around the 6-7 psi mark. a pressure guage and a couple of brass fittings.

the reg is about 50 bucks, guage around 20-30 and the pump is around 100.

they are external pumps and pretty easy to fit, you just have to make sure they are fitted below your petrol because they work on gravity to get the fuel from the tank to the pump, then they push. i installed mine on the fuel tank strap. works well and doesnt make too much noise. some people install on the floor pan but i wouldnt cos' these pumps can be loud as hell and trust me, it gets reaaallly annoying.

Ranhsingh

IndoAussie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE executive S2
Ceil pump causing missing

Hi there I got a problem in 1998 comm exct that engine do such a vibration as running with lack of fuel , the missing is such a kind as if we remove fuel pump fuse while engine is running could someone suggest me that is it fuel pump problem or not, I 've checked all electrical possible fails all good. I 'll be thankful....