Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Eurovox radio removal help

VK85SL

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK Commodore SL
Just needing some help regarding removing the factory eurovox radio Ive got in my VK. It has never been taken out before. Ive basically got to the stage where by I just need to remove the very last screw at the back but its impossible to get to as there is the centre air con vent that its pushed against and I cant get any kind of screw driver or spanner in there . Any tips would help.

*Note I do have the removal tools for the last step.

Attachments

• IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 517

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
They are fitted with an anti-theft plate, which is screwed into the cross-brace of the body shell, and requires you to remove the instrument cluster, binnacle, and centre A/C vent ducting to access the screws.

Lift up the touch switches from the back edge first, then unclip them.
Undo the screws above the cluster shroud, and behind the touch switches, then pop it out (it's clipped in along the bottom edge).
Remove the lower cover near the pedals, so you can reach up & unclip the speedo cable (you may be lucky & get enough length in the cable without this step, but be aware of it.
If you can, try to bend the centre A/C ducting up out of the way, and using a stubby phillips head screwdriver, undo the 2 vertical screws holding the plate at the back of the radio, to the brace.
You'll then need to try to undo the nut on the back of the radio, to release it from the bracket as well - this is really difficult unless you have tiny hands. A torch & a mirror would be your best allies here!

Once you have removed the security bracket, you need to pop the eurovox tools down each side of the radio (the holes in the side clips are a guide - you can make your own from Sheetmetal, in an "E" shape - but make sure you form a pointed end on the centre bar of the E, as this is what releases the side clips. The bars of the E need to be about 3-4 inches long.

If that doesn't work Coal Chisel

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
OK did mine on the weekend.

Trevor is right, remove the 2 self tappers from the security bracket, remove the AC vent above the radio, insert Eurovox keys into the sides of the radio to let it come out 10-15mm, use a small set of pliers to loosen the remove the final screw attaching the security plate to the rear of the head unit. Once its off pull the HU out ensuring the security plate doesn't try to slide out with it (it jams). Once the HU is out then the security plate will fall out.

Good luck, don't force anything as its 30 year old brittle plastic...

VK85SL

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK Commodore SL
OK did mine on the weekend.

Trevor is right, remove the 2 self tappers from the security bracket, remove the AC vent above the radio, insert Eurovox keys into the sides of the radio to let it come out 10-15mm, use a small set of pliers to loosen the remove the final screw attaching the security plate to the rear of the head unit. Once its off pull the HU out ensuring the security plate doesn't try to slide out with it (it jams). Once the HU is out then the security plate will fall out.

Good luck, don't force anything as its 30 year old brittle plastic...

Thank you for the info mate. Just a question though. How do i best get to the two screws at the front of the radio as per picture?

Attachments

• 8AF63356-2375-45AC-83F2-FD8F5CF29D6D.jpeg
    8AF63356-2375-45AC-83F2-FD8F5CF29D6D.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 623

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This is the VL way:

If you want to do it the factory way:

1) Disconnect the battery earth lead

2) Remove instrument panel compartment, centre console (Berlina and Calais), heater case to panel cover assembly, instrument cover assembly, lower instrument panel extension and upper instrument panel pad assembly.

3) Pull and lift back the left hand air outlet duct from the air distribution duct.

4) Remove the radio/cassette player rear bracket attaching screws from the instrument panel carrier.

5) Remove all the left hand lower instrument panel to instrument panel attaching screws.

6) Lower left hand instrument panel to the floor.

7) Remove the front anti-theft mounting bracket screws and bracket. Remove the rear bracket attaching screw from the rear of the radio/cassette player assembly and remove bracket.

8)Insert radio/cassette player removal tool (CMT113) into slots in right and left hand sides of the unit and pull unit out from instrument panel.

9) Disconnect wiring harness connector and antenna lead from radio/cassette player.

10) From behind sides of radio fascia, depress locking spring mechanism. This will enable the removal tools to be removed from the radio/cassette player.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Just a bit off topic . Does anyone remember what model commodore had the three point anti theft screws ? They were like a philips head but instead only a three point star not four point like the philips . I remember seeing them when I worked at GMH in Dandenong

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Thank you for the info mate. Just a question though. How do i best get to the two screws at the front of the radio as per picture?
In your initial 2nd picture, there is a loom covering a hole, that is where the self tapper is.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just a bit off topic . Does anyone remember what model commodore had the three point anti theft screws ? They were like a philips head but instead only a three point star not four point like the philips . I remember seeing them when I worked at GMH in Dandenong
Didn't you say back in 2008 the VL had the 3 pointed star?