Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK front wheel woes

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
More washers to the front of the K frame should bring the z bar forward

He'd have to put them inbetween the k-frame and the bush, which would require making washers up to hold it in place....Original washers will go through the k-frame.

In front of the bush won't work.....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Pics of the K frame end. It looks straight. The bush retainer is distorted though.

Looks like the k-frame is the issue....You might be able to bash it outwards....Or if you are any good at fabricating, or know some that is, you could make a new plate, pushing that outwards.

The next alternative is replace the k-frame.....VB to VS all bolt up.....With VL to VS, you need the V8 one so you can bolt the motor back in...

There is conjecture when thee was a rack change over, so it is adviseable, if getting another k-frame to measure the bolt up point at the k-frame where the rack goes, so the new k-frame has the same bolt spacing for the rack....

Best of luck

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Looks like the k-frame is the issue....You might be able to bash it outwards....Or if you are any good at fabricating, or know some that is, you could make a new plate, pushing that outwards.

The next alternative is replace the k-frame.....VB to VS all bolt up.....With VL to VS, you need the V8 one so you can bolt the motor back in...

There is conjecture when thee was a rack change over, so it is adviseable, if getting another k-frame to measure the bolt up point at the k-frame where the rack goes, so the new k-frame has the same bolt spacing for the rack....

Best of luck

So it IS bent? I guess I'll need to compare it to the other side to see the difference.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
He'd have to put them inbetween the k-frame and the bush, which would require making washers up to hold it in place....Original washers will go through the k-frame.

In front of the bush won't work.....

Yeah. I guess that's why they modified later models with a big flat plate and 4 bolts. There's Jack sh1t to hold anything there

You can buy a reinforcement plate for most models, welds over the front. I've seen them for vb onwards. Could probably make your own

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah. I guess that's why they modified later models with a big flat plate and 4 bolts. There's Jack sh1t to hold anything there

You can buy a reinforcement plate for most models, welds over the front. I've seen them for vb onwards. Could probably make your own

Later model opening was a lot bigger too...Personally the plate on the later models looks flimsey, which probably explains why they are so popular to replace....Even the replacement aftermarket one, still has plenty of scope to play with the caster

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So it IS bent? I guess I'll need to compare it to the other side to see the difference.

Looks a bit squashed to me.....Generally on the inside portion of that, it pushes in further....

However do compare the other side to see how it looks in comparison

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Looks a bit squashed to me.....Generally on the inside portion of that, it pushes in further....

However do compare the other side to see how it looks in comparison

Cheers mate, I'll check and take it from there.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Later model opening was a lot bigger too...Personally the plate on the later models looks flimsey, which probably explains why they are so popular to replace....Even the replacement aftermarket one, still has plenty of scope to play with the caster

I've had whiteline adjustable on mine for about 4 years, plenty solid, the rubber in the plate is the problem, urethane does much better

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais

I'll look into the plates. I can make my own but I'd rather see what's out there first.