Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK fuel pump

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
i have a vk carby 308 an the in tank pump an sendr has carked it can i use a 202 fuel tank sender an run an external pump?? an does it have to have a mecanical pump coz mine doesnt an im not sure it has ever had one on it , should i put one back on it withe the electric pump??

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i may be wrong but dosent carby v8s have the fuel pump mounted on the block ,i know my 253 was a mechanical engine block mounted pump.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
lol on the carbd v8s their on the block
facing the car bottom left..
oh ur saying the mechanicle pump was blocked off and their running a in tank electric pump?
in that case are u sure the pump and the sender has carked it?
it miight just be the sener

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
yea the one on the block has been blocked off, an i kno the senders fckd cause the float fell off in the tank wen i pulled it out lol pump might be fine but the sender wire has been fixed before coz the wire was soldered back together an that was snapped aswell i think i just need the sender unit but do i need the one on the block aswell or is one in tank pump good enough???

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
you can just use an external low pressure electric pump mounted near the tank just make sure you get one rated to suit your 308.

Jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
yeah probly just the sender bro, mines farked too.
nah keeping it blocked off should be fine
get a new sender first and fit it. and see if ti fixs it

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
you can just use an external low pressure electric pump mounted near the tank just make sure you get one rated to suit your 308.

but can i use the standard 202 sender unit with the external pump or is v8 an 6 senders different??

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
VK V8's have an electric low pressure pump in the tank and CAN have a mechanical on the block, but often dont. my intank crapped out too. dont worry about changing the sender if its too much of a ballache. i just hooked a carter black to the the fuel tank strap and left the sender alone. it worked fine. no lean condition at high rpm and it went on the dyno with the old pump still attached/not working.

i recently dropped my tank to repair a hole so decided to rip the guts out of the old pump and hook it back up empty. i dont think it will make any difference because carbys only need between 6.5 and 8 psi of pressure anyway. but if you can be bothered dropping the tank, then maybe thats the best idea too. make sure you hook all the body back up though. mostly for the strainer at the base of the pickup.

also: make sure you put a filter BEFORE the new fuel pump, cos' they are known for picking up all the crap in the bottom of the tank and dying. fit a filter and pump. run a couple of tanks from very full to very empty, then replace the filter.

Jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
Like ari said get a carter pump and hook it up like those ;)

9893b723.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
^^^ where is that located? looks a little high to me. cos' they are gravity fed they need to be mounted lower than the lowest point of your tank, or else when fuel gets level with the pump, itll stop flowing.

edit* also you will need a reuglator to run a black. they are set at 15psi which is waaaay too high for a quaddy.