Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK head unit install

D

dave_17

Hi,
I have a 85 VK and i'm wanting to install a new head unit as the old one was stolen. I have been told the whole dash needs to be taken out to install the new one. Is this true? and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
dave

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
when i installed mine i only had to take half the dash off and then laid down on the seats with a screw driver and slowly turning the bolt until it was out, (bloody 1/2 inch bolt holding in a am radio!). i then put the unit in with silicone going around the plastic so when i slipped in the unit the silicone would hold it and didn't have to bolt it in. if you still want to bolt it in you will have to take the whole dash off.

and one last thing when you put your unit in it will be on an angel pointing upwords and you see the cradle it sits in. Just don't look at it, it doesn't look very attractive

cheers

scott

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
with my VK we had to rip out most of the ferking dash, and rip out the old head unit (stocky for VK) - there was a screw/bolt holding the unit in - good idea, but bloody annoying when upgrading.